Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some rocks from some creeks in the area and plan on using them as decoration. I have placed the rocks in containers to test the water to see what happens to the ph. I don't really have a way of getting air pumped into the containers as I see is recommended, is this a problem?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The guy I talk to at petsmart tests rocks with Peroxide. He's good with fish unlike your typical run of the mill associate. I believe there's a type of acid you can find at hardware stores that's good for that too I forget the name but it starts with an 'M'. In my limited experience rocks generally don't erode fast enough to make a substantial impact on PH though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
To answer your question, no, getting air pumped into the buckets is not a problem. Water circulation helps with dissolving and with getting good readings (no help if all the dissolved things just sit on the bottom). Water circulation is the reason for the aeration. Basically, stir your rocks and all should be alright :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZeNozzle said:
The guy I talk to at petsmart tests rocks with Peroxide. He's good with fish unlike your typical run of the mill associate. I believe there's a type of acid you can find at hardware stores that's good for that too I forget the name but it starts with an 'M'. In my limited experience rocks generally don't erode fast enough to make a substantial impact on PH though.
That would be muric acid and I agree with you there is not much of a chance of a problem, going from discussion on this forum - especially if I'm doing 25% water changes weekly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nina_b said:
To answer your question, no, getting air pumped into the buckets is not a problem. Water circulation helps with dissolving and with getting good readings (no help if all the dissolved things just sit on the bottom). Water circulation is the reason for the aeration. Basically, stir your rocks and all should be alright :)
OK, stirring the water it is!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You may know this already so beg pardon if you do. There may be a slight shift in the PH after your water sets for a bit whether there are rocks in it or not. You might expect some small shift, just don't blame the rocks for all of it, if it happens. Rocks as a whole are generally pretty safe if there are no oils, chemicals or snail eggs on them. There are rocks that may have iron deposits but I do so much water changing that it seems unlikely there can be much buildup of anything leaching out of rocks if they are surface rocks that have been exposed to weather for the last few hundred years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PfunMo said:
You may know this already so beg pardon if you do. There may be a slight shift in the PH after your water sets for a bit whether there are rocks in it or not. You might expect some small shift, just don't blame the rocks for all of it, if it happens. Rocks as a whole are generally pretty safe if there are no oils, chemicals or snail eggs on them. There are rocks that may have iron deposits but I do so much water changing that it seems unlikely there can be much buildup of anything leaching out of rocks if they are surface rocks that have been exposed to weather for the last few hundred years.
Thanks Pfunmo,

I also thought there would be a slight ph shift. My water supply is extremely soft Kh 20 Gh 60 Ph 6.2. which I add buffers during water changes, so I expect if the rocks are leaching acid it will show up.(due to low Gh) There are some rocks which have some orange in them, and are fine grained, I have them in a separate bucket.

I did power wash the rocks and will review what other people did to prepare there rocks prior to placing in the aquarium. I'm not too concerned as these rocks came from a pristene river.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Watch out for those sneaky snails! Their eggs can survive a long time even when dried. I always bleach to avoid a plague of snails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts