Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

After having my tank set up for a few weeks, I came to the realization that I was causing some wild fluctuations in pH. Since my tank housed some Apistos (see here), I've been trying to keep the pH down just under 7.

The problem was that I was getting the pH down there during my water changes, and the giant pile of rocks in my tank was bringing it up to 7.6 within a few days. I lost at least two of my female Nijssenis and a handful of tetras due to the swings.

I guess I either have too many or the wrong types of rocks. For those of you who keep low pH tanks, do you have rocks in there? If so, what kind and how many?

Should I drop down to just less of the rocks, or should I try to switch to a different type of rock?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
xWingman48 said:
Hey All,

After having my tank set up for a few weeks, I came to the realization that I was causing some wild fluctuations in pH. Since my tank housed some Apistos (see here), I've been trying to keep the pH down just under 7.

The problem was that I was getting the pH down there during my water changes, and the giant pile of rocks in my tank was bringing it up to 7.6 within a few days. I lost at least two of my female Nijssenis and a handful of tetras due to the swings.

I guess I either have too many or the wrong types of rocks. For those of you who keep low pH tanks, do you have rocks in there? If so, what kind and how many?

Should I drop down to just less of the rocks, or should I try to switch to a different type of rock?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
You want to avoid limestone (calcite) for a SA tank. It sounds like that's what you might have.

A good rock for a SA tank is sandstone. It is relatively inert and should not raise the pH.

I'm setting up a 125 SA tank and am only putting a couple of small chunks of sandstone in the tank. The rest is driftwood and sand.

If concerned about the rocks causing pH swings, put some in a tub with water (whatever source you are using, RO would be optimal) and measure pH over the course of a few days.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have always been a fan of granite, I do believe that it is inert, assuming that you have pieces that are free of other minerals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts