Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in my other post, but I have a 125G 6' tank that is still cycling so meanwhile I am trying to figure out what I want to put in it. I think I am leaning more towards Frontosa and away from Malawi's. But the kicker is that I just spent 2 weeks arranging about 400lbs of rockwork. And now after reading some old posts I have feeling I might need to redo!

So I don't have pics yet, but basically I have a wall of rock along the back 6" of the tank and nothing in the middle and front of the tank. Originally I was targeting Mbuna/Haps so I was trying to cover both a need for caves and open water. But now I notice most people do bigger rocks in the middle of the tank for Frontosa. How critical is this? I will try to post a pic soon so you have a better idea.

I shouldn't be surprised that this happened given the track record of putting this tank together, but it will be borderline devastating if I have to remove that rockwork.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
that wall will come in handy if you plan to add any other species to your frontosa tank. i can't think of a better place for sp. lamprologines and/or julidochromis to hide out.
IMO, your substrate raises a few concerns. for one, it is fairly deep, and will require some additional effort to keep from forming anaerobic pockets. and two, many cichlids will attempt to dig under those rocks (and so will you when cleaning), so shifting/collapsing of your structure is possible.
otherwise, it looks like a nice set up. :)
(P.S. remember when stocking, that your rock work has consumed some serious space, and your water capacity is now likely down to approx. 80 gallons) HTH.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sand is 2" deep. I originally put in more than I wanted with the intention of removing some because its easier to take it out then vice versa. However, because I put those stupid UGJ in if I take out any sand then they will be less covered.

I also took precautions regarding the rocks falling because I have seen that advice before. The bottom row of rocks are large flat rocks that I used to make a foundation so you would have to remove about 8" of sand along the wall to potentially do any damage. Although what would have been better is if I put the bottom row of rocks in before I put in the sand so there was not sand under the wall, but that requires a lot more foresight than I have exercised in this project.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Frontosa do like rccks. Try just changing how you have it set up, make larger caves (if you have to by siliconing some small and medium rocks together to make bigger pieces and cover with a flat rock etc..) You can leave a couple small rock piles ,maybe in the corner or something too. You can do alot of interesting things with rockwork. If you get silicone make sure you use GE II silicone, any silicone made for kitchen or baths will have a chemical added for mildew resistence. Make sure your rocks are placed on the bare glass or bare UGF then sand around them, digging fish can be crushed or trapped when they dig the sand out from under rocks .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts