Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the rock I'd like to use, but looking at other African cichlid tanks I'm not sure how I can make this look nice. The picture is of tumbled Pennsylvania bluestone, the pieces I have are similar to what is in the photo. Any Ideas for placement? I know I need to make hiding spots and keep area for the sand diggers.

bluestone.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Nice looking rocks!!! They look relatively flat so you could used smaller pieces between the larger pieces to create crevices and caves, just be sure they are stable and won't topple.

I'm not sure if using pond foam adhesive would bond the rocks to each other but it is something to consider researching. You would need to dry fit the rock formation prior to bonding them together and larger formations would need care placing them due to the weight.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Also, I would only affix crucial parts of the formation, and balance the rest in a way that they won't fall. If you ever need to remove fish, you will kick yourself for glueing them all. What makes for a comfortable home for your fish makes it nearly impossible to catch them when you need to.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
I was thinking the same...I would not glue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ironspider said:
Any Ideas for placement?
I have never had much luck with "dry" builds so I've always started my builds submersed in water and let the creative process take it from there. The problem with that of course is each creation is unique, and unlikely to ever be replicated. That's cool because once you get the hang of it, the rocks just kind of fall into place.

But yeah, no, if I have to take my rocks out for any reason, whatever design I had is likely gone forever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts