Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the verdict on preparing/cleaning rock to put in the tank. Thinking of using some river rock that's been lying around in the yard.
Do you boil the rock for a few min. do you just rinse it in water? do you add anything to the water while soaking the rock, (maybe a little bleach) or do nothing?

thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
I power washed mine, that was it. I've seen people put their rocks in the dishwasher before..

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I use the dishwasher if I have a whole tank of rocks to do. No soap, no rinse agent, sanitize cycle. I still have to scrub with a brush though...that kills the bugs but does not remove dirt and algae.

Be careful with yard rocks. Yards get sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers. Since rocks are porous, I would not use one sprayed with pesticides no matter how well cleaned.

If I have only one rock, I soak briefly and scrub with hot water and a brush. I have never boiled or used bleach...but nothing wrong with it IMO.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If there's a risk of snails, I use bleach. Otherwise, I just scrub them. The dishwasher idea is a good one. I worked at a place where we used to clean keyboards that way that had soda spilled on them. Top rack only, or they'd melt. :) The dishwasher should kill off any snail eggs also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I routinely boil small (up to 4") and sandstone slabs, both of which I get at a local rock yard.

I use a 21/2 gallon pot and cover it. I boil it for 30 minutes, and cool it with running water in the sink. Never had a problem with bugs, algae, or chemicals. I sorta hope boiling will extract most water soluble chemicals.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just rinse them off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts