Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought our 1st home last year :D but in the process of the move all of my cich died :( . So in the on going process of owning Af. cichs I take this as an oportunity to strive to be better than the last tank! I've always owned mbunas. So I'm going to take this opportunity to try something different. In the 55 gal tank I would like to try haps (Copadichromis azureus) with Aulonocara (lemon jakes or another blue and yellow) with yellow labs. Now I know labs are listed under mbunas but I know they are also ominovres and...I love them! I really would like to keep my yellow labs if possible.
So is it possible combo? If so how many of each do you recomend? What substraight should I use? How would the feeding work out?
Thank you all for your lifetime experience and input!

Go Steelers!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Sounds like a nice combination, but I'd do them in a 75G instead of a 55G. The Jakes and Azureus mature at or over 7" and for a 55G you may want to limit to a fish that matures at 6" or less.

There are other Copadichromis (and other haps as well) and Aulonocara that mature at 6" or less that should work.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would suggest some type of sand for the substrate. I use pool filter sand. It's cheap and pretty clean right out of the bag. Argonite or cichlid sand works well and helps buffer the water. For my male hap/peacock tank, I feed a variety of foods. I mostly use Dainichi cichlid pellets. I also use flakes and frozen brine shrimp once in a while.

Go packers! I'm an Eagles fan but tired of the Steelers winning! Haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a little confused as to why 55 gallons would be too small for the C. azures and the lemon jakes. On this website a 40 gallon 'cookie cutter' tank is suggested for 2 or more azures.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Because it's a bigger tank.......lol It will work. It's just bigger tanks are always better. Azareus's are cool. I Had a nice one in a mixed malawi tank. It's like keeping an Ahli. He's peacefull enough and because he's so big no one else messes with him.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
hobbeslax said:
I'm a little confused as to why 55 gallons would be too small for the C. azures and the lemon jakes. On this website a 40 gallon 'cookie cutter' tank is suggested for 2 or more azures.
You're right. I'm not sure why that's suggested for the 40G long cookie cutter. I think that any fish over 5.5 inches looks cramped in a 55 gallon.
Regarding the lemon jakes - they are too aggressive and large for a 55 gallon. Though there are other blue and yellow peacocks that would work - like Aul. Baenschi.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kans for backing me up and for the suggestions.
I know it sounds stupid but because of my alma matta (WVU) I LOVE blue and gold. So it's sort of a theme tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts