Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I’m considering doing a reverse-flow under gravel… I would like to get opinions from people who are using them, or have tried them…

I have read some pros & cons here from past post, and its kind of a toss up…

The tank came with three filter plate, and lift tubes. And I have three 170gph reverse-flow powerheads…

Watcha think…

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cons: Well it limits you to the fish you keep. Cant have any fish that will sift through the gravel. And yes you have to use gravel with the filter plates since sand will get through if not block the slits of the filter plates. To many tubes in the tank that you can see unless you cover them with rock work.

Pros: It stores alot of bacteria to break down waste since you are using the plates as a filter.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I forgot…

I’ve got about 300lbs of crushed coral that came with this tank also… Should be enough for a 3â€

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure if you are but I wouldn't suggest using RUGF as the only filtration method, certainly not for a tank that size.

I have used reverse filtration a number of times, but mainly for fish that don't like fast running water. I have just setup a 600L Mbuna tank with UGJ to keep the debris of the coral sand substrate (similar principle, different implementation). In conjunction I run two other big canister filters (Pro 3 and an FX5) and am thinking of adding a third.

A few of things you should keep in mind:
- pushing water through 2â€

·
Registered
349 Posts
I used it for a number of years and found that the biggest concern - digging mbuna - can be limited if you have a deep enough substrate bed.

By the time Mbuna dig deep enough to compromise the bio-filter its gravel cleaning time.

I have recently switched from RFUGF/Gravel to USJ/Sand. Not because there was anything i didnt like about the RFUGF, but I wanted to try sand as a substrate - but thas a different thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I currently have a 180 gallon (6'x2'x2') mixed hap/peacock set up with 3 marineland 1140 power heads with sponge prefilters set up as a RUGF. I am also running 2- Eheim 2128 pro 2 thermal canister filters, 1 penguin 350 HOB, a Hydor Korallia 4 to eliminate any dead spots along the front of the tank & I also have a Marineland Magnum 350 Canister Filter with a 18 watt Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer on the return line. I have 34 adult fish ranging in size from 3" to 12" in this set up and other than having to move some of the ECO-Complete Cichlid substrate back when doing my bi- weekly water changes I have not had any problems with the RUGF set up.

Frank

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BrianNFlint said:
I have recently switched from RFUGF/Gravel to USJ/Sand. Not because there was anything i didnt like about the RFUGF, but I wanted to try sand as a substrate
Did your gravel stay pretty clean?

When you switched your set-up, what did it look like under the filter plates?

My thought is, even if fish temporarily expose the plates, and water is not running through the gravel as intended…. What harm is it doing? The bio filter is not going to die…Right..

I also will have an FX5, and 3 - XP3’s filtering this tank.

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
349 Posts
after running RFUGF for 4 years i could still see the plates through the bottom of the tank, it stayed very clean. When i took it all out, yes there was some buildup but definately no 'nitrate factory' that you are warned about.

if water does not pass through the gravel, it does not receive the biological filtration that it needs, however i dont think all three of your plates will ever get dug up at once but if you notice a fish getting deep enough to cause a problem just rearrange decor in that area and it usually cures the problem for awhile.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BrianNFlint said:
after running RFUGF for 4 years i could still see the plates through the bottom of the tank, it stayed very clean.
Do you remember what size powerheads you used?

All of mine are 170gph…

Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just don't see why you wouldn't get a canister filter or two, and then to UGJ's they are amazing and then you never have to worry about fish digging, or the Nitrates.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have a canister filter or two, (see above post)…

I did consider an UGJ, but the fish are going to dig regardless of which system I go with. (Same maintenance)

At least with the RFUGF I will have the additional bio-filter.

?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Eh, I don't trust it. My 120 came with a under gravel filter. I installed under gravel jets and thew that down the trash shoot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts