Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my socolofi and metriaclima zebra turned on my convict. My convict is significantly smaller then both of them, so it was no fair fight. Granted, they didn’t seem to bite him, but they relentlessly chased him with reckless abandon. I chalk it up to the tank is so small, that no matter where he goes, he’s always in their view. Anyways, I returned my 2 Africans today. I thought they would be extremely difficult to catch, as I have a few hiding spaces, but they were simple. As soon as I dipped the net in, they each swam inside a cichlid stone to conceal themselves. I simply put the net at the opening, and lifted the stone out!

Now I have a Chinese algae eater, 8 zebra danios, and a male convict. I know I was against the idea, but I’ve given it a lot of thought. I want to get a female to put in with him so I can observe their natural parental behavior. Do you think it’s too soon? Should I wait until my male gets a littler bigger?

Here's some pics of the little guy:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like a female to me but if its a male u should be fine and even if it is a female I think u would be fine to put them together as long as there sorta the same size I've had convict breed at about that size. How big is the tank

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cichlid_kid96 said:
Looks like a female to me but if its a male u should be fine and even if it is a female I think u would be fine to put them together as long as there sorta the same size I've had convict breed at about that size. How big is the tank
It's a 20 gallon. I was under the impression that females get an orange blotch on their bellies. That is distinctly absent from mine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cichlid_kid96 said:
Well its still small and it looks like it has a little bit on it. And the males usually don't have a the blue on the top fins
O, alright. But I seen an even smaller one at the LFS that had a bright orange belly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cichlid_kid96 said:
Yea it probably is a male I've seen males with the same characteristics. My female was only about an inch or two long
Thanks. I want to be 100% sure before I introduce another con.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Introduce more then just one con. You don't want to force a pair and end up in a homicide divorce. You should let them pic thier mate. Cons are cheap and you could just return the rejected ones.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flippercon said:
Introduce more then just one con. You don't want to force a pair and end up in a homicide divorce. You should let them pic thier mate. Cons are cheap and you could just return the rejected ones.
How many do you think I should introduce? Believe it or not, Cons are not easy to come by around where I live. The only place I know that stocks them is Petsmart. Petco lists them, but hasn't had any in a while.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would get at least 5 more at the same size and call it a day. Just keep a close watch on pairing since it is a small tank and take out the non pairs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flippercon said:
I would get at least 5 more at the same size and call it a day. Just keep a close watch on pairing since it is a small tank and take out the non pairs.
Alright sounds like a plan. Do you think I should add more decorations then? I only have 1 flowerpot and a coral rock now.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In the end you just want one pair for your tank, but yes give them as many honeymoon suites as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts