Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people.

I'll get straight to the point. I used to keep cichlids up until around 2 years ago when a change in personal circumstances put a halt to everything and since then I've been in an enforced hiatus due to living space and temporary places etc. I feel that I will very shortly be ready to return to keeping cichlids and I am considering the tank setup.

I will most likely be going for a tank around 75g so that's what I'm working with. In the past, over the last 10 years or so I have had 3 main setups. I had a Mbuna tank which peas my first cichlid tank and loved it dearly. I then set up a Tang mix with some shells, Julies and others I just cannot remember the name of now...really has been too long!! I also had a large Front setup which was my pride and glory.

I now want to decide what to go with. My heart says try something new and if that were the case I would strongly consider Tropheus because I was always intrigued by them. I am aware however that they are renowned for being difficult and I am wary to go back to fish with such a challenge....yet it still excites me.

My head says return to Mbuna: safe, experienced, know that I will get a setup I'm really pleased with, colourful and active.

Something else says go mix Tang again because that was the tank which was cut short. I never got to fully experience the renowned behaviours of the fish. Yet I remember how I was slightly unimpressed with their appearance compared to Mbuna (i knew I was going for character over style with them, perhaps I didn't realise that I appreciated the Mbuna style as much as I did).

I have done research and will continue to look at tanks and read people's views. I am however throwing this out to the group - what would you do in my position and why? Where would you go on this return to these wonderful fish?

I appreciate any advice or input offered.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I am one to try to keep things on the simple side. I do not find ordering fish to be shipped works very well for me. If there are fish available to me locally, I put them higher on my list. I find all the fish I have kept have certain things that I find as I go along. Until I keep a fish for a time, I can't fully apreciate their special points. I've been at this since the mid 70's and at this point went back and raised some anglefish. There were things to learn that I had missed on the first go. My suggestion? Go with what you find locally available and you may learn new things about a fish that you might have passed in the past. That still leaves a mighty large group in most cases. There are some really nice haps out there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Locally I can find most things although the Tropheus would take slightly more work. I am lucky to have a very good LFS, one of the best in the UK.

I know what you mean though, half the fun is the trip to the LFS.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i personally love those tangs. the behavior and niche enviornment/behavior entices me. i love to watch them mingle and quarrel over each specific area of the aquarium. depending on how you set up the tank and what gets introduced first theres quite a large list of possibilities. for instance julies shellies cyps for color and maybe some caudopunks. i personally would drop in some julies and shellies first. isolate a pair of em and trade in the rest. then add more rock and some caudos and cyps. *** always enjoyed watching their unique behaviors over angry fish chasing females and looking pretty. (beauty isnt everything afterall!) GL to ya just my two cents.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Keep in mind that a 75G is about the smallest you should go for Tropheus. It certainly can work, but Trophs are better off in a 6 foot tank. I currently have 25 Chimba Red juvies in a 75G and its working great for the time being but I'll definitely need to upscale the tank in the next year or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.