Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will be setting up a 75 gallon pre-drilled tank. I have been going through many of the forums getting some great ideas. I am planning to use a wet dry filter, and am trying to understand the return line from a submersible pump. How would I use PVC pipe to connect to the pump. And there would need to be some way to disconnect the line from the pump. I would appreciate it if some of you can post picstures of your wet dry filters.

I see that there are external pumps, but how does the water go from the wet dry to the external pump. Putting a PVC line into the water in the wet dry to suck it out?

Also, how many UGJ would you recommend for a 75 gallon tank? I am planning to use the pump from the wet dry to return the water directly into the UGJ. What type of pump would you recommend as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to your input...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Gunjee said:
>snip< I am planning to use a wet dry filter, and am trying to understand the return line from a submersible pump. How would I use PVC pipe to connect to the pump. And there would need to be some way to disconnect the line from the pump. I would appreciate it if some of you can post picstures of your wet dry filters.
If you use a submersible pump use a piece of flexible tubing right off the pump to a union. Then go hard pipe from there. The flex will quiet down some of the vibrations.
http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?produ ... onsUnrated

I see that there are external pumps, but how does the water go from the wet dry to the external pump. Putting a PVC line into the water in the wet dry to suck it out?
If you use an external pump you should drill the sump below the water line in the pump chamber and use a bulkhead to connect the plumbing to the sump/ pump. Again use flex pipe to and from the pump to quiet down noise being telegraphed into the system but this time use a union on both sides of the pump so you can perform maintenance.

If heat is not an issue submersible pumps are pretty easy to setup and could be quieter and/ or less expensive. There are some really quiet external pumps out there but cost a bits more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Aqua Viaa submersible pump. It looks like it uses less watts than the Mag, and I have had experience with one for my 30 gallon tank that I maintained a couple of years ago.

Regarding the UGJ, I see that one user used 7 jets for their 90 gallon tank, 5 under gravel and 2 in the return line. I guess I will go with 4 under gravel and 2 in the return line for my 75 gallon, unless someone would like to suggest otherwise.

I am also interested in a DIY background. Have been reading a lot of threads about it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You could use barb fittings and flexible vinyl tubing off the pump and then a barb to hard pipe fitting such as a barb with threaded or slip cionnection to connect to the union. I would suggest stainless clamps over zip tie.

The whole idea of using soft tubing off the pump is to isolate pump vibrations to the system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts