10 otocinclus
1 surinamensis geo
And recently added 6 hatchet fish but only 3 left
Ammonia0 nitrate0 nitrate0
pH7.0
GH120
KH80
26-27C

So i know i am dealing with velvet. Its kind of a green sheen on the gils and some glitters on the head of the fish. I coulnd see it until now so its pretty advanced…
It began a month ago. My fishes were itchy. Flashing against rocks and substrate. Thought it was flukes (i had it last years) so treated with prazi. 2 times. Didnt solve it. I removed the prazi with carbon and waited 5 days. I started seeing some whitish spots on my fishes. The tetras and acaras were showing spots.
At fist I suspected a simple case of ich. It was not the typical ich spots though. But the most obvious symptom was, again, the flashing. I never saw fishes that itchy. I swear i thouth they were going to go insane. Head twitching, fins twitching like crazy. So I began another treatment. I had 2 meds on hand that treated ich and velvet. I had kordon rid ich plus (11,52% formalin and malachite green) and Nox-ich (malachite green only). I searched for some info on wich are the best for my case and i decided to go with rid ich plus….. nearly lost an acara, made a 30% water change and waited next day. Everyone was ok, still itchy and breathing heavily… So I ditched the formalin/malachite and stayed with nox-ich malachite green only. It said to use 1/2 dose with sensitive species. So I went with that. After 8 days without much improvement: Still itchy, heavy breathing, I set the temp at 30 and upped the dosage to normal. Its been 2 days and they still behave the same. I didnt lose any fish and they still eating though. I wonder if its really velvet and its resistant and my fish dont die cause everything else is fine, or im not treating for the right disease??? Anyone has dealt with this before? And should I switch to Copper sulfate? Im kind of affraid to use copper.

We don't see very well in the pictures but the corys gills are really red and covered in shiny green velvet. Some acaras have clamped fins. And the white spots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Though I have never heard of Velvet appearing as a green sheen, Its possible you have Velvet. Usually it becomes visible as a brownish-gold 'dusting' on the affected fish. All symptoms you indicate do seem to indicate some sort of protozoa infection, however.
I like that you have raised the temperature in the aquarium to 30C (86 degrees Fahrenheit). By heating things up, you are significantly speeding up the life cycle of the parasite.
- Have you tried adding non-iodized salt to the water? Salt is something Velvet definitely doesn't like. The recommended salt treatment recipe for Velvet is: 3 teaspoons of salt per 1 gallon of water (9.375 cups of salt for a 150 gallon tank). I would personally raise the salinity of the tank for this treatment over a couple days, to slowly adjust the fish to it. A 50 percent PLUS water change is usually recommended before beginning a high salinity treatment process, to keep the salinity level high for longer without facing excessive Nitrate buildup. (conduct very light or no feedings of the fish during salt treatment to limit Nitrate buildup). I would maintain the salt treatment in the water of the aquarium for a minimum of 10 consecutive days.
- Going dark is another recommendation for treating Velvet. But, with your heavily planted tank, that will put a lot of stress on your plants in the tank as well... So, 'Going Dark' is something I would personally be reluctant to attempt in a heavily planted tank.
If the salt doesn't work....
- You may be forced to treat with a copper-based medication. I personally would remove the catfish from the aquarium for that, and place them in a separate, quarantine tank. 'Going Dark' with the quarantine tank, maintaining the high temps and continuing to treat with salt, may be the best you can do for the catfish.
Otherwise, the symptoms you describe do sound like a Velvet outbreak. The bright, green sheen you are seeing however, is not something normally reported for that problem. And unfortunately beyond what I've recommended above, there is not much else I know to try that you could attempt for your fish. This sounds like a tough one...
So hopefully, there may be someone else who has experienced similar symptoms with their fish in the past, who can offer a more informed treatment plan for your aquarium. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

I removed the malachite green from the tank and progressively added some salt until i reached 1 tbl spoon / gallon. Next day I found 3 cory dead… but I don't know for sure if its the salt or the velvet that killed them. I kept the salinity, temperature is still at 29 and lights are on for only 3 hours a day. Its been 5 days. After losing 2 colombian tetras yesterday I lowered the temperature to 26 again because its a lot of stress for the tetras and corys and also, treatment just doesn't work so might as well slow velvet down… some tetras got white spots on them so I put them in a 10 gallon tank to treat them separately and to prevent parasites to fall down and infect others again.
I read that acryflavine is really good at treating velvet. I would love to be able to put my hands on anything containing acryflavin… im in canada so its a pain. The only med i can get that contain acryflavine is tetra super ick cure. But it comes in 8 tabs pack… 1 tab for 10 gallons. Im afraid i will lose all my fishes. My acaras have lost their color. They're all greyish. What should i do??

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Oh man.....
This is painful to read. And unfortunately, I honestly don't know what you're dealing with. But, whatever it is?
It's lethal.
I've been there once, where you are now. And at this point, you need to make sure that WHATEVER is in that tank, that is killing your fish? Doesn't go anywhere else. Seriously.
This means go full on quarantine. And ANYTHING touching the water of that sick tank, should undergo full sterilization.
-
So, stay with what you have. Keep fighting, and hope for the best. But if you lose this tank, and everyone succumbs to whatever this thing is? You will need to sterilize EVERYTHING afterwards.
A full re-start.
Dry media.
The works.
Really sorry this happened. Your Aequidens metae, Yellow Acara, look like some really great Cichlids. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the follow up. Really appreciate it :)

Yesterday I spent an hour trying to catch all my tetras and corys to put them in a smaller tank under the main one. I made a big mess lol. Water everywhere. Messed all my set up and my plants look like **** from all the treatments. But anyway, I wanted to try a med that I had that treats like 5 gallons a dose so I had to.
The small tank always had plants only and was set up 1 year ago or more. It has a sponge and heater. So I began treatment with lifeguard all in one (see pictures). I noticed my colombian and bleeding heart tetras had no more spots on them. Yesterday some of them had 1 or 2 spots. I dont even think that makes sens lol. My 3 hatchet seem to be tough. I had 6 but these 3 are not dying. If you look at the picture, they are covered in white spots. Also look at my 2 sad purple tetras. Also covered with spots, plus missing half body? And they were fine yesterday. Those are dying for sure. The corys I got 4 left. I had 11. Do you see the shiny light reflecting dust on the cory?? Is it sand? I don't understand. Do you think the ich is stress ich? Cause the hatchet and the purple tetras I got them from the same place and its the last thing i added to my tank. They could be just stressed? But then why all the ich meds dont work? It cannot be ich…

I found an article that's really interesting and also scary.
https://www.bassleer.com/ornamentalfish ... 5-2012.pdf
I hope its not the « incurable » one lol.
For the main tank with my acaras and the ancistrus (too large to go in the small tank) *** redone the first med (the one with formalin and g malachite). I think they are going to be okay? They are less itchy… they seem stable at least. They're still itchy lol. But no white spots and nothing worse than yesterday. So the salt or the malachite green from the previous med worked for the spots but not the itching. They have frayed fins now, but malachite green did that i guess. And their eyes are opaque with a bluish color…
I also vacuumed the hole thank substrate and removed the 3 plastic plants that use to cover my heater to clean them. I did 2 times a 50% water change yesterday. I moved a lot of junk so yeah.

So what do you think the spots on the hatchet could be?
If it doent clear up in the main tank my next move would be to put my acaras and the ancistrus in a separate tank or a tub and treat them. Do you think velvet (if it is) can survive with no fish and for how long? I would set the temperature at 32 and add salt cause the plants didnt seem to care about salt.
If I lose my acaras I am out of the hobby for good thats for sure. It would just suck too much.
Thanks again for the replies ^^

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
It seems like a fish (plants?) you introduced to the aquarium recently, was infected or carried this infection into your aquarium. It's tough to do, but maintaining a six week minimum quarantine period before introducing new, living things to your established aquarium is something you are going to want to consider in moving forward.
And yes, it's possible you are dealing with a case of Ich, as well as that resistant Velvet.
-
Regardless, you need to decide on and maintain a treatment regimen for your fish. Evidence of visible improvement in a fish being treated - may only be just that. And will not indicate that the fish is cured, or the problem is solved for the aquarium. Maintaining a treatment regimen for a minimum of 10 to 14 consecutive days is the only way you are going to know if your process is working.
Treatment for these kinds of problems is stressful for everyone. And unfortunately, you may be doing more harm than good by throwing too many things at your fish at once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You’re right. However, in 8 years of keeping fish *** never got my tank wiped like that. I guess the effects of the ban on aquarium meds are starting to show here in canada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts