Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered these two juvi's today for free due to someone getting out of the hobby. I am not sure what these are and kinda thinking Venustus. I need to find out if these are ok for my mixed Malawi tank or should I seperate them from that tank........Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Moviestars, if they are victorian that means they will really color up thru adulthood. Anyone else have any ideas on what these are?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Ed 718 said:
if they are victorian that means they will really color up thru adulthood. Anyone else have any ideas on what these are?
They don't look like any Victorian I've ever seen. They are either not Victorians at all or a hybrid Victorian. The vertical barring reminds me of Astatotilapia latifasciata but the body shape is way off for that species.

Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StructureGuy said:
Ed 718 said:
if they are victorian that means they will really color up thru adulthood. Anyone else have any ideas on what these are?
They don't look like any Victorian I've ever seen. They are either not Victorians at all or a hybrid Victorian. The vertical barring reminds me of Astatotilapia latifasciata but the body shape is way off for that species.

Kevin
I'm finding the body shape of these not like any mbuna that I have in my tank. The little guys are working out fine but still confused on what they might be......thanks for the reply Kevin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The top fins are getting a hint of blue and the other fins are getting a hint of red.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Placidochromis milomo (aka VC-10)?

The fish in the pics appear to be quite small, I cannot recall ever seeing P. milomo in a very small size.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
etcbrown said:
Placidochromis milomo (aka VC-10)?

The fish in the pics appear to be quite small, I cannot recall ever seeing P. milomo in a very small size.
The fish are a tid bit over 2 1/2 inches.........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked up Milomo and it does not have any of the swollen lips of that species but then again they are juvi's. The gal who gave them to me was not sure with they are but she thought they were maybe a convict hybrid. I'm not thinking these have anything to do with convicts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
If it is part VC-10, it's not full. Either way, keep us posted with photos of it as it grows! :thumb:
Will do I'll post pictures later as they develop into adulthood. I'm sad to report one has a good gash on the top of it's head. The only thing I can think of is he was getting chased and ran into a rock or got a chunk bitten off. :(

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Those are not Milomo. Nor any Malawi i think.

Victorian area IMO maybe similar to Haplochromis sp. 44 "Thick Skin" or what has been sold as "obliquidens" in the past or a hybrid with "Zebra Obliquidens". There is no doubt that the quality of fish vary widely, and have been getting worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts