Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to Petsmart, and I was planning on getting a handful of convicts so they could pair off an mate with my established one. But Petsmart only had 1 convict in a tank with huge Blood Parrots! I don't know anything about these guys, but 1 convict was dead, and was was hiding in a fake plant. I decided to grab that one and save him from future death at the hands of these giant parrots.

He is really dark, and I can't tell if it is a he or a she as the fish was super stressed out and most of the colors faded. But the fish is really small, about as small as mine when I first got him.

But my established convict, Elijah, there seems to be something terribly wrong with him. He is swimming sideways once in awhile, and seems to hide in plants. During feeding, he ate out of my hand, but went back into hiding after that. I'm thinking maybe he's full, since he devoured a whole zebra danio!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems like my convict Elijah, was only swimming on his side when he was close to the new one- which leads me to beleive it is a female, as he was chasing her violently. He didn't even allow her to come out during feeding time. So I quickly set up my 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium, and threw her in. This is only temporary, when she matures, I will re-introduce her to my 20 gallon.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You did right by separating the two. When you come across morr drain your tank half way,rearrange and add the new ones. Then refill. Keep an eye on them while the pairing process proceeds. You then can remove the ones that were not excepted. Good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going to give my juvenile convict away to a friend. This friend just got a 60 gallon tank, and only has guppies in it. I told her once the convict matures, she will terrorize the guppies. There's a reason why they're called convicts!

She has been pretty lethargic in my bookshelf, seems like she's still stressed out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts