Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to all this and have rescued a cichlid from been left to just die, he I think as if I show him a photo of a female that I think is the same species goes so bright a shimmy’s with his tail shaking and following the photo on my phone.
I don’t know what he is and was hoping someone could help me to identify him .
Water Vertebrate Fin Organism Underwater

Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish

Water Organism Fin Fish Seafood

·
Administrator
41,504 Posts
Looks to me like Melanochromis auratus, but I am not the best at ID. VERY aggressive Lake Malawi mbuna cichlid. I would probably rehome or keep him in a tank by himself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks to me like Melanochromis auratus, but I am not the best at ID. VERY aggressive Lake Malawi mbuna cichlid. I would probably rehome or keep him in a tank by himself.
Thankyou, I thought that’s what he might be, he is actually so lovely and really funny, will definitely keep him on his own as I wouldn’t know what to keep him with, I was told a catfish or another aggressive malawi but not of similar colour, maybe a butterfly but I’m not sure he would accept it as he has lived alone for the best part of 3 years. Do you think
It is a he?

·
Administrator
41,504 Posts
Auratus can be kept in large groups of females with a single male in very large tanks. Some say 72" is best. I would not add a single tank mate. It sounds like a male since it turned bright colors when shown a pic of another auratus, but the only way to be sure is to vent the fish. Does it matter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I’ll never know what he is exactly but he is so lovely I’m keeping him anyway, just a shame he has to live alone.
Thankyou for your help
That’s what I thought, so he is 3 and half years old now so hopefully he will have the next 3 years or more in a happy tank with a lot of people watching .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts