Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i own a 135 gallon. I am thinking of trading a fx5 for 3 aquaclear 110 hob filters. I like the easy cleaning of them and they do an amazing job. Just tired of the big canister to clean. Would the ac110 's clean as good as the fx5? Am i crazy to change this setup? :?

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's funny. I swore off HOB's and plan on using an FX5 (or two) for my next large tank.

I think the cleaning regimen is personal preference. As for the proficiency of the filters, I don't know whether 3 AC110's would be as effective as one FX5. But they'll sure cost you more on your power bill.

·
Registered
162 Posts
But they'll sure cost you more on your power bill.
Actually the energy consumption will be about the same. The FX5 draws 50 watts and the AC110's draw 15 watts each. However I'm not sure if you will get the same amount of bio filtration with the 3 110's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I switched from FX5 to 2 110AC for my 125g. I would say mechanically the 2 AC110 is better than FX5. Biologically of course the FX5 is bigger but AC110 plus all the sand and rocks in the tank it's enough. AC110 uses 14 watts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
AZcichlidfreak said:
But they'll sure cost you more on your power bill.
Actually the energy consumption will be about the same. The FX5 draws 50 watts and the AC110's draw 15 watts each. However I'm not sure if you will get the same amount of bio filtration with the 3 110's.
Sorry you're right. I don't know what I looked at but I did a quick google when I read your thread and came up with 32w for the AC110. Now I did it again and found what was posted above .. 14w. In my defense, let me just say that I'm an idiot. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Does anybody know what the media volume is in a AC110? The FX5 has about 6L - which is actually surprisingly little for a canister filter.

Media volume for me is the number one feature to base my filter buying decisions on. I guess that's why I love my Eheim 2260 (18L), and I don't have a single HOB. Most of the time media volume isn't even listed in the specs of HOBs, but I am guessing 0.5L is a lot.

The more media volume you have, the less often you have to clean your filter, the less you disturb your bacteria. The 2260 I use to filter my 125G I have to open 3-4 times per year. If I replaced it by HOBs, I'd be playing around with the filters weekly - plus my wife would complain about the noise.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Why don't you keep the FX5, put a sponge filter over the intake and pack it with biomedia. Then all you really have to do on a regular basis is remove the sponge and rinse. You should rarely have to open it. Put the intake up high where it can be reached easily. Maybe add one or two AC's to do mechanical filtration. Best of both worlds?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I finally just got my AC 110 (after a cracked case and return...). My setup is a 405 with bio media exclusively, the AC 110 with primarily mechanical (I do keep some bio in there in a mesh bag to bring up other tanks), and 2 sponge filters.

I don't plan on cracking open the 405 more than a few times per year. If the work of opening the 405 gets "excessive" I'll put a sponge on the intake like Tim suggested.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
AZcichlidfreak said:
Did a google search for it and found on another forum that the total media(mech and bio) volume is just over 1 gallon or 4L.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-266769.html

And when looking at mine it seems the sponge takes up about half the space so if you just had the sponge and biological media you might be able to get 2L.
Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing this! The thread has the AC110 media volume at 1.136G, which is about 4.3L - about 2/3 of an Eheim 2217, or an FX5! I still wouldn't like the rattle of the HOB, but as far as media volume goes, this is impressive. Maybe I have been doing the AC110 injustice, and I'll definitely have another look at one if I get a chance. One thing to check would be bypass. Meaning if the media get clogged up with debris, can the water just run over instead of through them? For example in an Eheim 2217, all the water has to go through the media chamber, but I don't know if this is true for an AC110 or a FX5.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do doubt the media capacity is as large as 4.3L. There is little bypass, meaning there is no water flowing from the intake compartment. I do see bypass problem with AC70. But not AC110. Even not cleaned for a month. My 125 is overstocked with 40 adult tropheus I have no problem with poop floating around. I also have a koralia powerhead. There's almost no poop on the substrate. I do not vacuum the substrate anymore.

I think for almost any reasonable filter the bio filtering is not the limiting factor. I have never problem with not enough bio media. I'll bet I can run only one AC110 with my setup with no problem as I usually take some media out to cycle a new tank.

There are a few nuances with AC110. It's noisy compare to a canister filter, especially if not properly cleaned. But the benefit far outweights the nuances. As a matter of fact I have sold all my canisters (eheim 2217s) and use AC filters only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts