Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided to change around the media in my XP2.

bottom basket
fluval ceramic rings - media seperator - rena foam 20

top basket
rena foam 30 - media seperator - fluval bio max

ill let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That way wouldn't be good. I have 2 Rena XP3's. The Rena filter flows from the bottom to the top. So the biggest pore filter foam needs to be the first the water comes in contact with. Then once all the stuff is filtered out of the water you want to have the bio filter and if you want a micron filter.

The best way I know would be:
bottom basket
Rena foam 30 - media separator - 20 on top of that

top basket
fluval ceramic rings - media separator - fluval bio max

my xp3's both have
bottom basket
3 layers of Rena foam 30 ,30, 20

middle basket
Rena foam 20 - bio-balls

top basket
Pillow stuffing

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jason081180 said:
That way wouldn't be good. I have 2 Rena XP3's. The Rena filter flows from the bottom to the top. So the biggest pore filter foam needs to be the first the water comes in contact with. Then once all the stuff is filtered out of the water you want to have the bio filter and if you want a micron filter.
What i meant is Fluval Pre Filter Media at the base of the bottom basket, only purpose is mechanical filtration for large particles...its inert and non porous unlike the bio max.

I got the idea from studying the media set up in my eheim classic. I also packed the XP2 as tightly as possible the way the eheim came out of the box. the only thing i did different from the eheim is NOT put a fine filter pad at the very top. i find they reduce the flow too much.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mudkicker said:
i have decided to change around the media in my XP2.

bottom basket
fluval ceramic rings - media seperator - rena foam 20

top basket
rena foam 30 - media seperator - fluval bio max

ill let you know how it works out.
Since Rena filters pull water from the bottom, I would go, from bottom up, Black foam 30-Black Foam 20-ceramic rings of choice-white filter pad or polyester stuffing.

This is according to Rena's own docs on the XP. No media separator is needed between the 20 and 30 black foam pads.

You want to remove as much particle waste as you can before your ceramic rings as you will just junk them up with trash if you don't filter the water before it flows over them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree with biglove. My XP2 set up the recommended way keeps that tank clearer than my other tanks, even one with an Eheim 2026 and AC110.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is essentially the same, the water will still go through the 2 foams 20 & 30, except, it will pass through the Pre Filter first. the Pre Filter removes larger particled than the foam therefore the foams should take longer to gunk up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts