Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My wife and I are new to cichlids. We have had our 75 gallon tank for about 5 weeks and added fish this past weekend.

I have a few questions regarding the tank setup and the Rena X3(i think that is the model number. It is rated for the 175 gallons)

I noticed our water tends not too be crystal clear. Is there something I can check with the filter or could it be something else?

For the inflow I am using the long bar with the holes. I have it on the back wall of the tank facings the front of the tank. It is angled so the surface water gets some strong ripples. Is this the ideal location for this?

Also I have the flow going 100%. Is this also OK. I noticed when I feed the fish the pellets they tend to sink very fast from the inflow.

Can I use to much cannister filter media? I am currently using what it came with and not sure if I should use more or not. If so what would be suggested.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just picks up a second hand XP3, no problems here.

Do you have a water clarifier? I would try that. Best of luck figuring this out.

Did you properly clean your substrate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned the substrate as indicated from the bag, but also cleaned even more by using buckets and such. I also added the bio-magnet after placing substrate and water into tank.

What is a water clarifier? Are your efering to the bottle stuff you can buy at the pet shops? If so is it safe for the fish?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah that's the stuff, I've used it with fish in the tank with no ill effects. Takes about 4 hours to clear up. If you add it before bed, by morning you'll be happy with it when you wake up to clean water.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would just wait it out for a bit. When I first set up my tank I had the same thing going on. Once it was running for another month or so it cleared right up and has stayed that way since. Some of it I think is a small bacterial bloom, and possibly just everything getting going and established. Also happened with my 55 gallon as well.

I try to not add any more chemicals that I dont have too. I can say that Purigen has really helped clear up any organics in my water making it quite clearer. Maybe try that rather than dump stuff in you feel you need to do something now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the helpful information. I think I will wait it out until at least the end of the week.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You just added fish, bio load is more, hence the cloudy look. Wait it out, it should clear up in a few weeks.

Long bar with holes = spray bar, IMO your placement is perfect.

Flow is good, I don't restrict my flow at all either.

Filter media is up to you. I usually add bio rings, and use all three pads.

Sounds like your doing everything right.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You may want to check your water parameters; ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
You say you've had the tank 5 weeks, has the tank been full with filters running that long?
Just checking ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had it running for about two weeks befpre adding the fish. I have been checking all three and thus far all are well, but ammonia at .25

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm just confused about 'inflow'. Typically the spraybar is connected to the output side of things on the xp3. In input would be that weird green/blue tube which sends water to the filter.

As for media, in my xp3s i have the 4 sponges in the bottom tray (2 x 20 ppi + 2 x 30 ppi), the middle tray i have filled with Seachem Matrix (found a great deal online for it), and the top tray is a combination of loose and quilted polyester batting for fine polishing (i use the quilted stuff to keep the loose polyfill from being sucked into the impeller..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Shrktnk, do a water change. Your tank is not fully cycled yet. Read up on fishless cycling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To expound briefly, your water parameters in a fully cycled tank should be 0 ammonia / 0 nitrItes / <25 nitrAtes. Cycling *with* fish will mean more frequent water changes than without, but you can do it. It just takes time and a bit of patience. Good luck and have fun!

-=CG=-

·
Registered
220 Posts
I always keep a water polishing pad at the very top of the stack in my Rena. I have a cycled tank waiting for fish. The water is so clear that someone asked me the other day if I had water in there yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.