Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a new to me tank it has a few scratches in the tank mostly the back side and a side panel which I will just face a wall but there are a few unsightly scratches on the front. Read up on it they say to use hydrochloric acid! Not really digging that idea the I read another diy that said use jewelers rogue which is a polishing agent. My question is has any body tried either of these? Which one is the best to use? I know good cleaning after use but what is the long term effects? Or should I just fill the tank and live with it?[/list]

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Depending on bad the scratches are I would try filling it up past them and see what it looks like. A lot of the time you cant even see them once it is filled unless your really looking for them.

I have followed a couple threads of people trying to remove the scratches in their glass and let me tell you it isnt an afternoon project for sure. These guys took days of some serious hours buffing and polishing to get it looking decent. And once you start you have to finish since you basically scratching it to start with.

IMHO more work and time that it is worth unless they are real bad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
it is doable especially if you use an electric drill.
search for a windshield polishing kit on google

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be alot of work but I think it will be worth my time seeing that it is 125 gallon 6 foot long tank.
I also wonder if the local glass shop might be able to fix it? Might be worth the time to call and ask.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Saw the same threads.
If you really like to DIY, and soak up the knowledge and wherewithall to do it, go for it.
I love a good 'makeitcheapermyself' project, but this one, I would just cough up the money for a pretty new pane. It'll look brand new!!!!!! Can't say for sure w/the other option.
Tank would be down for a couple days, minimum....couple weeks is sounding better, tho.
$0.02

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about just replacing the glass as well I would have to price compare. Right now the tank is down because I wanted to make Mods to the stand as well as make a canopy and purchase the new lights. Figured I would give my holding females time to hatch their eggs before I put them through the stress of switching tanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is an update I decided to ignore them and fill the tank. The water got rid of the majority and a large straw berry pot covetred the deaper ones. In the end it worked out. Should be posting a picture soon thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts