Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to know if i should use Cichlid Salt and pH Buffer to get the required Water Parameter in case i use Aragonite Sand as Bottom with RO Water.

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
You should first check your source (tap) water for hardness (GH) and alkalinity (KH) and maybe pH. Check your water samples right after dispensing from tap and then again after a 24 hour off gassing period. Write those numbers down so you can compare if they are different.

You may or may not need to add cichlid salts and/or buffer depending on a few factors such as your water test results, whether buying wild caught cichlids, which species cichlids you plan on keeping and how your local fish shop keeps their fish water parameters.

Sorry I did miss that you were planning on using RO water so you will need to buffer the aquarium water so hopefully someone with more experience will comment for you. What is the reason you plan to use RO water?

·
Registered
657 Posts
My tap water is RO water so I use a buffer of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt to add back minerals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts