Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 150g tank for sale with a Refugium filter system.

Does anyone here have any info on this type filter?

Are these filters for saltwater only?

Could it be used for a Cichlid setup?

Any help would be appreciated…

:fish:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Are these filters for saltwater only?
Primarily yes, but no reason why you couldn't put freshwater plants in it to try to keep nitrates down. I can't think of too many other uses off the top of my head, but here's a thread with some interesting ideas.

Here's some info on refugiums for saltwater tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran a refugium on my saltwater reef tank to lower nitrates, phosphates and house amphipods and cophepods. In would be overkill and a waste imo on a fresh water tank. If you have the money to put it to work with freshwater plants like mentioned above and dont mind the extra maintenance then go for it?
I wouldnt tho. Usually you would run different lighting on different time schedule with a refugium to keep the ph up too. . .

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info….

If I purchase this tank, the refugium comes with it…

I don’t want the extra maintenance, so I would probably try to sell it…

I have plenty of filtration (xp3’s, magnums, power heads, ect…) I just wasn’t sure how a refugium works, or what its main purpose was…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sure NP. A refugium is basically a "safe-haven" ... a refuge of safety. lol

Most people use them for nutrient export where plant life is grown to eat the nitrates and phosphates. As the plants grow (usually chaeto or calerpa algae's) they are harvested and given away or thrown away to make room for more growth. Also people put snails, crabs, deep sand beds, little plankton and other stuff for food that makes its way into the display tank..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts