Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently completed a L shaped tank and built the backgrounds myself. once finished and filled i realised that the corner piece (main piece of the tank) couldnt be seen due to the light refracting. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this issue? i was thinking of mirror tinting the outside of the tank - would this help? One other thing, would the mirror tint upset the fish? would they try to fight off their own reflection.

The tank will house a variety of Malawi cichlids.

thanks for you help!

This photo is without wate
This photo is with water

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Photos arent working, but ya I would have never thought of the refraction thing either. Wish I could help but hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Incredible job! You're a cabinet maker, I assume?
I don't have any ideas. Maybe the mirror would make them ignore each other? You could stick a piece of scrap mirror to the outside to check, that tint stuff doesn't come off easily!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't tell you what to do about the refraction, but I really like the volcano!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anything really. pretty bummed about not seeing the tree trunk. i have finished applying the mirror tint, and although it didnt do too much to alleviate the refraction issue it did help a bit. what it did do was to provide a way to see the missing angles via the reflection. Not a solid 100% fix, but its something for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well look at it this way... You're disappointed that you can't see the log that well, but I guarantee the fish are happy it's in there nonetheless. :)

Excellent work on the tank by the way! :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.