Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Cichlids are champion jumpers. Since the length is 48" I would stock it like a 90G. Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f for mixed gender with the OB's the only peacock. For all male I like 12 in a 48" tank but you could go a little higher with the extra width. For a max guideline I like 18 males that mature less than or equal to six inches in a 72" tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
All male can be mostly colored, but allow two years of tinkering with the stock list to get fish that all feel comfortable with each other. With mbuna you can get nice coloration guaranteed with mixed gender by choosing species with colorful females.

I like to stock the initial 12 all at once. Beyond starting them all off on equal ground in the pecking order, it eliminates the need for a quarantine tank initially for each added group. IME the all male tank colors better if you choose either mostly timid or mostly assertive haps and peacocks. With peacocks think in terms of one yellow, one red and one blue...you want fish that look nothing alike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts