Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New member here. I currently have a Planet aquariums 125 gallon rimless reef tank (48x24) with sump of at least 30 gallons. I am planning to transition back to freshwater. I am interested in keeping peacocks, OB and some Haps. I currently don't have a lid in my tank since it is rimless and I would like to keep the modern look if possible. I know all fish can jump but are cichlids know to be jumpers? Do I need to get a lid? Will my current tank size and dimensions work long term? Let me know what you guys think. Looking forward to your reply.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hi Blackfish,

Smaller Haps and Peacocks are doable in a 48x24, and to answer your question.....YES.....Africans are jumpers. Many a cichlid keeper has had to net fish from behind 3d backgrounds or found "carpet surfers".

I would look into a mesh top kit. They are very low profile so you can maintain the modern look you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blackfish,

Smaller Haps and Peacocks are doable in a 48x24, and to answer your question.....YES.....Africans are jumpers. Many a cichlid keeper has had to net fish from behind 3d backgrounds or found "carpet surfers".

I would look into a mesh top kit. They are very low profile so you can maintain the modern look you like.
what do you think is the ideal number of fish for that size tank. I will look into getting a mesh lid. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
Cichlids are champion jumpers. Since the length is 48" I would stock it like a 90G. Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f for mixed gender with the OB's the only peacock. For all male I like 12 in a 48" tank but you could go a little higher with the extra width. For a max guideline I like 18 males that mature less than or equal to six inches in a 72" tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cichlids are champion jumpers. Since the length is 48" I would stock it like a 90G. Think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f for mixed gender with the OB's the only peacock. For all male I like 12 in a 48" tank but you could go a little higher with the extra width. For a max guideline I like 18 males that mature less than or equal to six inches in a 72" tank.
is it better to stock all 12 fish at once or do it a few at a time? Im looking for an all male due its nice coloration. Do you recommend a specific peacock stocking list? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
All male can be mostly colored, but allow two years of tinkering with the stock list to get fish that all feel comfortable with each other. With mbuna you can get nice coloration guaranteed with mixed gender by choosing species with colorful females.

I like to stock the initial 12 all at once. Beyond starting them all off on equal ground in the pecking order, it eliminates the need for a quarantine tank initially for each added group. IME the all male tank colors better if you choose either mostly timid or mostly assertive haps and peacocks. With peacocks think in terms of one yellow, one red and one blue...you want fish that look nothing alike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts