Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a red, or partly red peacock. Which is the reddest of the reds.... I have a lwanda but he is really orange on top. So please give me some opinions on which peacock is redder...

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Pretty much all red in Africans is really orange or yellow. German or rubescens IMO.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
"Red Shoulder" from the south eastern coast of the lake are the closest natural to having red in the body, more like a rusty orange to dark red with a lot of dark shiny royal blue. "Cobue" has reddish ventrals.

Then there are the so called "reds" sold as German Red, Ruby Red, Or Rubescens, which are aquarium strains which vary widely. They are not consistent breeds, some are hybrids, some just line bred, each fish can be different , some are very reddish-orange, some are closer to yellow-orange, some are more blue. Some of these males can be very attractive, some not terribly exciting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if you are on Facebook, but a lot of the Facebook groups have posts of super deep red peacocks. However, the really red ones seem to come from Thailand; and well, I do not trust those ones.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Intense colors could be hormoned or photoshopped or even just careful lighting.

I own a cobue peacock with the "red" ventrals but it is a blue fish overall.

I have owned rubescens and noki is right they vary and some are redder than others, but all basically orange.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think an in-depth discussion about juicing is warranted. Growth hormones are used to quickly make the fish look more mature, mainly more mature coloring. However, growth hormones, in a traditional sense, should not create colors that the fish would not develop as an adult. Now I see these bright red peacocks online from Thailand, and of course I assume they are using growth hormones that are illegal in the U.S., however, these reds seem so unnatural, that I don't think it can be from growth hormones.

Maybe they use dyes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adamson said:
I think an in-depth discussion about juicing is warranted. Growth hormones are used to quickly make the fish look more mature, mainly more mature coloring. However, growth hormones, in a traditional sense, should not create colors that the fish would not develop as an adult. Now I see these bright red peacocks online from Thailand, and of course I assume they are using growth hormones that are illegal in the U.S., however, these reds seem so unnatural, that I don't think it can be from growth hormones.

Maybe they use dyes.
Might be, I understand that the red parrots are sometimes blue, purple, and pink, due to being injected with dye.
So if they're dyed they won't reproduce the color....

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Adamson said:

Maybe they use dyes.
The reddest Peacocks aren't dyed... most often it simply is massive amounts of over hormoning, if from Asia. There are foods that can increase the reds in fish as well, that contain Astaxanthin for example, that is common in parts of Europe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a Ruby Red and he's not one of the more dominant peacocks in the tank.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts