Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS A MALE ARE FEMALE BUT IT IS VERY AGGRESSIVE TODAY AND WILL NOT EAT. I HAVE 7 CICHLIDS AND NOT SURE WHAT THE SEX OF THEM ARE I AM NEW WITH THE CICHLIDS. HELP :-?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Holding Eggs. When african cichlids breed, the female will hold the fertilized eggs in her mouth until (and for awhile after) the eggs hatch. The breeding would explain the aggression, and the holding eggs would explain the not eating.

Based on the behavior you described, if she is keeping her mouth closed, and if her lower jaw/chin area is puffed out underneath, she is probably holding eggs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is NOT completely inaccurate. I will agree that my statement is not always accurate. However, I did say "usually" which is true. While red male metriaclima estherae DO exist, most of the time females are red and males are blue. That is the standard, anything else is the exception.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/met_estherae.php
Here is an article, where it references an Ad Konings estimation that 1% of the wild population consisted of red males.

I know that in my area, this holds true in captivity as well. There may be regional differences, but if so I was unaware of it until now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts