Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a distinguishable visual difference between a male and female RZ? I want to get it tank mates and am trying to figure out its sex.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It looks like a female to me. The finnage being shorter and more rounded would be the clues.

If you are looking to breed, I would start with new stock, as the quality of this female isn't good. Very pale colour.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to end up with the 1m4f ratio, just don't want to get another male if this is male. Also not concerned with breeding as much as having a cohesive tank.
Also it "acts" like a male. I have 1 confirmed female OB peacock, and its forever bothering it. Not in an aggressive nature, but more of a pain in the butt nature, very similar to the way my male metria cal acts towards it.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would expect any mbuna, male or female, to harass a peacock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fogelhund said:
It looks like a female to me. The finnage being shorter and more rounded would be the clues.

If you are looking to breed, I would start with new stock, as the quality of this female isn't good. Very pale colour.
Are the males paler than the females naturally?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Some say yes. I've found my male quite vibrant red/orange. He's about 4.5" now.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
firemedic1169 said:
When mature, yes. Except for Glaneon's. :lol: Not from birth.

But the one in your pic does have very rounded fins.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Rounded fins suggest a female (Fogelhund's post).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DJRansome said:
firemedic1169 said:
When mature, yes. Except for Glaneon's. :lol: Not from birth.

But the one in your pic does have very rounded fins.
Apparently I have the oddball male. lol

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not true Glaneon. My RZ, which I always thought was female, is actually male. It's like neon orange--very bright. I think it's luck of the draw sometimes how well they'll color up (besides quality breeding as per usual). It was the blue tinted fins (pointed) that gave me the clue. Apparently, I suck at venting b/c it looked female to me... :roll:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yay for not being the only one!

·
Registered
843 Posts
:lol:

I'm hoping to keep it, but unfortunately, having to move across the country doesn't look promising for the poor guy. PA -> CO is a LONG drive...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Different Zebra.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've found a place online where I can get sexed fish in the species I'm looking for. I'm going with 3 female metria cals for my male, 1 male and two female RZ(decided my RZ was female), 1 male and 3 female Metria sp. Msobo deeps, and I'm also contemplating 1 male and 3 female Red top Hongi. That would give me 18 total fish. I'm going to add a eheim 2217 to go with my current penguin 330 biowheel HOB. I figured I need the extra filtering with the full tank and I can use the 2217 when I get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Glaneon said:
Different Zebra.
Sorry, had my threads mixed up.

Teach me to check/post too quickly :(

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
firemedic1169 said:
I've found a place online where I can get sexed fish in the species I'm looking for. I'm going with 3 female metria cals for my male, 1 male and two female RZ(decided my RZ was female), 1 male and 3 female Metria sp. Msobo deeps, and I'm also contemplating 1 male and 3 female Red top Hongi. That would give me 18 total fish. I'm going to add a eheim 2217 to go with my current penguin 330 biowheel HOB. I figured I need the extra filtering with the full tank and I can use the 2217 when I get a bigger tank.
All those metriaclima species in the same tank? 75G? I would not save fry and I'd be afraid they would fight. If you try it I would get more females (4 or more for each species) to spread aggression, metriaclima are not wimpy fish. :thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just thinking the same thing as DJRansome 2 hours ago. I think I'm holding of on the msobos. I really want some saulosi but I can't find a place to get them sexed in the size I need to go with what I have. I was also looking at the red top hongi but I can find males but not females.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.