Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have a situation, my youngest female red zebra is holding for the first time, and I am worried... It's been 26 days now, and she doesnt look like she is about to spit them... Should I strip her? because I had an other female holding (P. Lombardoi thought) and she never passes 20 days.
I have never strip a fish... So if it is my best option, if anyone have a "how to" guide, some advices, tips... anything that could help me, I would appreciate a lot! Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that the best way is to catch her and inside a bucket or small container have some tank water, use a toothpick to open her mouth letting the fry out. Once all the fry are out of her mouth you can out her in a separate tank for a week or so for her to regain some strength or put her right back in the tank. I keep my fry in a separate tank or in a fry net.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so that is the best option? thanks a lot the video is very usefull!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Only if she does not look well. 28 days is average which means 50% of mbuna will hold longer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she was so skinny(she is really small to start with) so I decided to strip her, got 12 babies of a first time mom so I guess its pretty good!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks! :) she already looks better, she ate like crazy!! I gave her small amount of food through the day and she is much better now :D

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
These are my favorite posts. First time a hobbyist's fish has babies, I'm still humbled and awe-struck every time it happens to me.
:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well it was not the first time, but it is the first time my Red zebra holds. Its kind of the same excitement I didn't know what the babies would look like so I was still very excited :p :D ... but its the first time I had to strip a fish and all went very well... thanks to the video! :thumb:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Events like this ARE exciting. I've been keeping fish of and on since the 60's. I've had lot's of success with live bearers and bettas, but never with any other egg layers. I've even had countless spawns from my discus, but never anything beyond larvae.

I started into cichlids about 6 months ago and put 6 N. pulcher in a 40 gal. They were juvies when I got them and for the last two months I've been trying everything to get them to pair, with no success (I'm down to 5 because one jumped out and comitted suicide.) I finally resigned myself to the possibility that they were all the same sex. I went on a two week vacation and returned home Friday night. My tank's water level had dropped 2 inches due to evaporation so I added water to fill it, until I could do a water change this weekend. After the addition I was concerned because some of the fish were acting quite strangely; hiding in corners instead of their usual caves. Suddenly, a fry popped into view, about 3/8 of an inch long. Upon closer observation I notice many, many fry from pinheads to 1/2 inch, mostly likely from multiple spawns. Although I've heard that these fish are easily bred, I am very, very exicted to have finally experienced some succes with egg layers. Now I have the pleasurable task of finding a home for the non-paired fish.

Congratulations on your zebras, and much continued success.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts