Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Depends what's in the community tank... If it's only other mbuna and you feed the adults 1-2 times per day I find the young ones are fine at 1". Of those that are released by the females in the tank, the few that survive are usually left alone by the time they're 3/4" (but they're the smart ones :) ). I'd introduce them at lights out though and leave the lights off the next day. Obviously its best if there are plenty of small hiding spots in case they do feel at risk..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You
Yes it is a Mbuna community tank. I have two fry that where rescued from the filter, they are about 1/2" now.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
1/2" is still snack size for sure. At 1" they theoretically still could be, but well fed adults don't seem to bother trying to catch one-inchers ime.

·
Registered
55 Posts
as I posted elsewhere, I just added four of my five caeruleus fry to my main tank @ 1". i'm not sure what they're eating, but they'll soon learn i guess.

they weren't bothered at all by the big fish; the littlest lab in there (about 1.5") looked thrilled to have fresh meat to boss around... but they've been fine. almost one week now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts