Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to fry as about 3 weeks ago I inherited a number of new fish, 3 red zebra, 2 ob zebras, 2 powder blue. they average about 3 1/2 to 4 inches. any way my 1 of the red zebra was holding. After putting her in a separate 10 gallon she spit by herself about a week later. The same day I returned her to the main tank. The fry are all free swimming and are doing well. Diet includes brine shrimp and hikari little bites. my question is the fry, about 21 of them, look white or pinkish with a little see through by their tails. can they be a hybrid or is that the way they look when new? they were spit 6 days ago.

·
Registered
623 Posts
*** purchased 1' inch red zebras which were a see through pinky color which have now doubled in size and are an orange color. I think its normal at that size, however you of course have a chance with hybridization. Im sure others with more experience will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
My reds were red when they were really small. Was the zebra in the tank with the OBs when she spawned?

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
If you had two Metriaclima in the tank during spawning, or any fish species that did not have good m:f ratios the fry could be hybrids. Even if the fry looked exactly like Metriaclima estherae they could be hybrids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts