Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Red Zebra that is just over a year old living in a 90 gal show tank. He is one of 3 Red Zebras along with 10 other fish. The one in question is the biggest fish (or the man) and dominates. He has had these growths over both eyes a few times randomly. The one over the right eye is gone and looks good, but the other one seems to be getting a little bigger each day.

Over the past 4 days he has been submissive to all of the other fish. He swims near the top or vertical along side the heater. When he does swim he moves great, his fins and scales look great, and he eats just not as aggressively as before.

I just cleaned the tank and did a 50% water change and the other fish are looking great except for the big guy. The tank is always clear and in my opinion is working perfect. Anybody experienced this?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
efishonbikes said:
I have a Red Zebra that is just over a year old living in a 90 gal show tank. He is one of 3 Red Zebras along with 10 other fish. The one in question is the biggest fish (or the man) and dominates. He has had these growths over both eyes a few times randomly. The one over the right eye is gone and looks good, but the other one seems to be getting a little bigger each day.

Over the past 4 days he has been submissive to all of the other fish. He swims near the top or vertical along side the heater. When he does swim he moves great, his fins and scales look great, and he eats just not as aggressively as before.

I just cleaned the tank and did a 50% water change and the other fish are looking great except for the big guy. The tank is always clear and in my opinion is working perfect. Anybody experienced this?
The cloudy eye could be a result of fighting, or he could be hiding due to the cloudy eye.
Either way, it sounds like he's no longer the boss. Keep an eye on him for a while after lights out and see if anyone chases him around.
First thing to try to clear it up would be very clean water, if it doesn't clear up on it's own or gets worse, then start to look at medications.
What are his other tankmates? He's in a 90g 48"x14"? Try and get a pic if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will keep the water changed however I get great filtration. The tank mates are as follows without the scientific names:

1 Yellow Lab-male
2 mixed labs- both male
2 Red Zebra / 1 male-1 female...this male is noticeably smaller than the other 2
1 Kenyi-male
1 Yellow finned Acei-male
1 Auratus(sp) male
2 African feather finned catfish
1 Feather finned pleco

Now when I started this tank just over a year ago I bought these fish at the LFS which went against the grain of the fish gurus on this site. In which I ended up with 2 mixed breed fish. Aslo I read how aggressive the Red Zebra, Kenyi, and the Auratus can be. However the outcome has been good. There has been no real aggressive behavior other than each fish holding their spot that they like to hang out in. I have only witnessed maybe two fights where the fish cut circles and it seemed to be the same fish. The smallest fish in the tank doesn' take **** from any of them. I feed them twice a day and that seems to be the trick from them chasing each other and I think for their size the rocks are set up well. Its not over done with rocks and I can clean the tank pretty easily because of their placement. I will try and post you a pic of the fish in question. I'd be pretty sad to see him go and as of right now he seems fine other than the eye and he is pussing out to the other fish. The female Red Zebra seems to be taking dominance and she is the second largest fish in the tank. The Acei is about the same size, but keeps to his own.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
The fish in question is being harassed...that is why he is in the position and location he is in. It's common not to see the harassment...only the result which your post perfectly described.

When this happens in my tank I remove the victim, let him recover and pass him along to another hobbyist. But in my tank the cause is usually too many males so the others are harassing the lowest sub-dom in the pecking order.

In your tank since there is only one female, you might find removing her removes the source of the current arguments, LOL. The more aggressive males in the tank are probably trying to spawn with the female zebra and when the male zebra objects he gets beaten. :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. DJ Ransom,

I hear what your saying and it makes perfect since about the one female with so many choices for a mate. The part that I don't get is this fish I'm talking about had been the 'Alpha' of the tank for at least 8 months and is the biggest fish. The other fish would always run from him and now he is a big 'Wuss Cookie'. I will work on getting a picture online today. That may speak a 1,000 words?

What are your thoughts on this eye. It looks like something that grows on some of those goofy goldfish. Thanks for your time.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I agree with DJ's recommendation. I'd definitely rehome the female in the tank. I'd guess that this is only the beginning of problems if you were to keep her.

I'd bet you had a recent change of leadership in your tank and your zebra is no longer boss. This sudden increase in aggression could be brought on by your female reaching sexual maturity and the hormones associated with it.

Your RZ might have a bacterial or fungal infection on his eye (which is likely brought on by the fact that he is stressed). I recommend isolating him and if it gets any worse, begin treatment with an antibiotic (I had a fish with a similar cloudy eye a few months ago and kanamycin cleared it up within about a week).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts