Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running Malawi cichlid tanks for many years. Among others now, I have a 75 g tank running with Red Zebra Maylandia estherae. They've spawned so many times over that I fell behind on pulling males and getting to the LFS to trade. Over the last 2 months or so, the males have gotten so aggressive that they've been attacking the other 2 species in the tank. One is Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga and the other are peacocks. The zebra males also are suddenly very aggressive with their female counterparts. I'm over them and likely will have to start from scratch on the tank's inhabitants. I'm not sure the male Mpanga, which is a gorgeous fish and almost fully grown, will make it. He hasn't been eating. They were an easy buy and I liked them because the male patterns are very pretty especially when fully grown. There's a TON of rocks and caves and hiding spots in the tank too.

Are red zebras always this aggressive? Did I stock wrongly?

Where can I find good stocking suggestions on the site? Need to find a new and interesting combination of Malawi cichlids.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would not combine peacocks and mbuna...especially aggressive ones like estherae and elongatus.

Try the cookie cutter tanks in the Cichlid-forum Library for ideas.

First I would decide if I wanted mbuna or haps and peacocks. Another decision is mixed gender or all-male.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What if you put him in a tank with two large snapping turtles? :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts