Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a total of 5 in my 180. All are approximately 2-3" long. One of the five appears to be loosing it's prominent red color. It is becoming a light peach/pink color with blue"ish" iridescent fins. Particularly the dorsal.

Male? The other 4 are still the bright orange-ish red.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Could be a male, but red zebras are tricky, I have a female that have a lot of blue I tought it was a male for a long time, but then she held eggs! She stayed pretty small too, males usually get bigger. But the males definitely all have blue fins, their fins tend to be long and pointy when they mature.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sparrk..

One is holding, almost solid orangeish red... I just hope it wasn't a cross with a Lab. Happened last week while I was on vacation...

The fish in question is also digging/burrowing. I know females can do this also but "it" seems an awful lot like a male. We'll see.

·
Registered
365 Posts
lol my male dug throught almost 4 inches of substrate and under a huge rock I was able to see the glass bottom of my tank, they are very hard workers sometimes :D I did not see any female dig like that. They will dig a little bit to hide almost under rocks sometimes, nothing compared to Mr Builder. Red zebra are known to cross breed with yellow labs, I hope for you this isnt the case.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red zebra are known to cross breed with yellow labs, I hope for you this isnt the case.
I know & me too..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Our male red zebras lose their brightness with maturity and go to a peachy color. No mistaking the two as the females are bright orange.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Definitely sounds like it's getting male coloration. I've kept red zebras for seven years now and the males loose that deep orange color. Even though they loose that deep orange color I think they look nice, :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
That sounds like your male, all males are pinkish ...

you can see my male to the left and female the right, huge difference

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome tank and fish selection. I have two very deep orange germanline females. They have prominent egg spots. You would think they were male but they've held fry. I need to find a decent male and breed these ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts