Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MEh... I need some practice myself on the fish. I also need to get my wireless flash trigger working... Also a macro would be good. Oh he hates the flash btw.

Last three taken with no flash... better color ...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'd say 99.9% sure on the Uro ID. On every festae I have had or seen the 2 stripes connected at the eye level of the fish or above. also the spot on the tail never went into the bottom half of the tail.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I edited my post while you posted. Please read

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
that's odd, the picture shows for me. Let it grow a bit and post again once the fish is 3-4". Either way both Uro and festae are nice looking fish once they are mature.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reiner said:
that's odd, the picture shows for me. Let it grow a bit and post again once the fish is 3-4". Either way both Uro and festae are nice looking fish once they are mature.
Its actually about 3-4"s Your image is mostly black with light color. I have my screen color calibrated for photos. You might have yours too bright. Just a thought. I'll see if I can get a snap from the other "red terror". Just a little frustrade if its a Uro cause I spent a lot of time looking for one and drove 3 hours to pick up 2 of the 3 at a store rapps has listed on his site as a place he delivers to. Its a bummer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone can confirm before July I'll try and get some real ones at the ACA meeting. Also if they are Uros, then I'd be willing to get rid of them locally if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Uro for sure, I've kept both species for years. The one I have had the same exact colors as yours, but two months ago I decided to limit his diet exclusively to Hikari Bio Gold and krill, and it brought out a lot more orange color. Not like a female festae, but still nice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's a pic of a younger male Festae in one of my other aquariums.

****, page change. Here is the Uro again from a similar angle, blurry, sorry:

Festae:

Uro:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nifty. I'm going to get a festae. Small uro is going to a local fish store along with green terror. Big Uro is going in 55. Festae going in 75 and eventually 125.

·
Registered
195 Posts
lostnight said:
Uro for sure, I've kept both species for years. The one I have had the same exact colors as yours, but two months ago I decided to limit his diet exclusively to Hikari Bio Gold and krill, and it brought out a lot more orange color.
Actually, that's mostly true, but I did mix in some TetraColor flakes here and there. Tetra Cichlid flakes used to be the main part of his diet, and he didn't color up. If you want to mix in flakes for your Uro's diet, I would suggest Tetra Color over Tetra Cichlid.

Glad to hear you're getting a real festae also. You could use the same diet, except mix in a little spirulina, Festaes like a bit more veggies in their diet than Uros.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
haibane said:
Nifty. I'm going to get a festae. Small uro is going to a local fish store along with green terror. Big Uro is going in 55. Festae going in 75 and eventually 125.
Have you contacted Ken Davis regarding festae? he is a fish breeder and collector and is based in Georgia. Also the American Cichlid association is holding there anual convention in Atlanta in July this year so you should find festae there for sure. Ken Davis contact info is [email protected]

·
Registered
791 Posts
I will throw in my two cents as well. The fish you posted is 100% Uropthalmus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.