Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed red streaking on the tail of my deep water hap this morning. I'm guessing some kind of toxicity, because it looks like blood vessels showing through, and it looks the same on both sides of the fish.
Water parameters are 0,0,5-10 - last water change 4 days ago.

This is the dominant fish in the group and has been in the tank for nearly a year. There could have been some stress, my red shoulder spawned yesterday, and before that the three main males in the tank were all quite aggressive towards each other.

I added 4 new deep water haps one week ago, and they all look healthy. I didn't quarantine the new additions, but they came from an excellent source and had been on their own for more than a month before I bought them.

I added some prime, in case of toxicity, but i haven't done anything else yet.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Sounds like septicemia. IDK the cure or if there is one. I believe there is usually another root cause and this is something that happens late in the illness. Hope someone else who has cured their fish will chime in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks DJ,
Yes if anyone has experience with this, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doing my homework on this, it looks like Kanaplex soaked food could be a good treatment.

Q) Should I isolate this fish?
Q) As a preventative should I be considering a UV sterilizer for the health of the tank, assuming all other filtration and and maintenance is adequate?

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
I would isolate. I do not believe UV would have any impact.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without doing anything the red streaks cleared up within two days. But since then the fish is still breathing fast, but otherwise acting normally. I have a feeling it has some internal damage from the septicemia or whatever it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts