Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have had great difficulty nursing back to health some adult SA cichlids I recently received by mail (2 Mesonauta guyanae, 3 Krobia guianensis). When they arrived they were a little roughed up: frayed fins, red sores/abrasions on sides. I spread them out across 3 quarantine tanks (29gal, 5gal, 5gal) to monitor them before moving to my 125.

The water quality of the tanks appeared to be stellar: RO water, ammonia < 1 mg/L, pH 7, temp 26, do ~100% saturation, hardness low. I I thought I did a decent job of conditioning the fish prior to moving to the QT tanks. I intended to conduct 25% water changes daily until I felt the fish were ready for moving to the 125 since the tanks were small and not cycled. At any rate, they have not done well and are still in the QT tanks after 3 weeks.

This particular post is about the red sores that appeared on the Mesonauta when they arrived. The sores were relatively faint at first, but looked a bit raised. The sores got worse quickly. They appeared very red, perforated, and obviously raised. I began treating with an antibiotic (Maracyn 2) and melafix. The red sores stabilized but did not improve.

Next I increased temperature to 29C and added 1/3 cup aquarium salt per 10 gallons. Slowly, one of the fish began to improve. The other fish did not. So, I elected to treat this fish more aggresively with Rid-Ich (malachite green + formalin) and a different antibiotic (maracyn).

Three weeks of this and the red sores are arguably no better than they were. Here are two photos. These pics are not good but the fish would not stay still!

Does anyone have some input on what to try next? I assumed this was epistylis (red sore disease) but it should have responded to these treatments by now, right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
My first thought is that ammonia should be zero- not less than 1ppm. If it's not zero- that's the first thing to fix. Do a 100% water change and grab some filter media from your established tank to use on the quarantines.

Red sores like that have several potential causes. They don't look fungal to me from the photos, and they're not responding to fungal treatments... I would take a break from treating.

My guess is that clean water, rest, and perhaps some added aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 10 gallons) and more Melafix will help. I'd add a fake plant or a rock or something to the QT so they can hide a bit- stress will also slow down the healing process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triscuit said:
My first thought is that ammonia should be zero- not less than 1ppm. If it's not zero- that's the first thing to fix. Do a 100% water change and grab some filter media from your established tank to use on the quarantines.

Red sores like that have several potential causes. They don't look fungal to me from the photos, and they're not responding to fungal treatments... I would take a break from treating.

My guess is that clean water, rest, and perhaps some added aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per 10 gallons) and more Melafix will help. I'd add a fake plant or a rock or something to the QT so they can hide a bit- stress will also slow down the healing process.
Hi triscuit, thanks for your input. I added some wood to the QT tank for a hiding place; good suggestion. I'll continue to do partial water changes daily and keep up the salt per your advice too.

Another concern I have is that neither of the Mesonauta are eating. I've only seen 1 eat anything in the 3 weeks I've had them, but it is likely they've eaten when I've turned out the lights. The seller indicated they were eating everything from flakes to live food for the 4 months he had them so I don't know what to do about this. I'm worried they are so weak that the loss of appetite is contributing to declining health. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'd really like to see the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I'm not worried about starvation nearly as much as water quality. If you don't have the liquid/test tube kits, order one online, and bring a water sample to your local store for testing.

Clean water is going to be your best bet for helping these fish pull through.

·
Registered
874 Posts
agreed, the fact that your Q tanks are not cycled will surely complicate things. i had the same problem with one old fish and after many failed attempts to cure him i had to euthenize. i found the best results with Jungle medicated food for bacterial infections and furan-2. unfortunatley the sores became chronic over time and stopped responding to treatment.
good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts