Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up a 180 gallon african cichlid tank and I want to use a natural looking rusty colored sand or small grain substrate . Laterite is what I have in mind right now but I would rather use something cheaper and/or better suited for peacock/mbuna mix.

Throw out your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
might look into seeing if spectra quartz has a color you're looking for, or colors you can mix to get the effect you're looking for.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I tried Red Flint directly. For less than a truck full they refer you to a distributor. The distributor they referred me to wouldn’t ship it. So, I ultimately ended up getting it here:

http://shop.wolfpools.com/browse.cfm/4,480.html

To my location shipping was $17.50 a bag. I ended up getting 2 bags (100 lbs) for around $67.00 once shipping was factored in.

Here’s an older shot of the tank:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks jrf,

It would cost me $28 and change to ship one bag. I've contacted Flint to see if there is a distributer closer to me.

I really like the look of this stuff. The pfs I use works great, but it's bright white.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jrf I like how natural the substrate looks but it looks more tan in that picture. Is it the lighting? I am looking for natural red/rust colored sand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.