Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice from experienced hobbyists on how to treat my little red jewel. He has what appears to be an infection on his lower lip - see pics below. I suspect it is a result of fighting with an aggressive yellow lab. He has had this condition for several months, but it has not been very large until the past few weeks.
Within the several days I notice he has not been able to eat the pellets he likes. He can't get the food past the enlarged area and into his mouth. He probably hasn't eaten for about a week and I am worried.
I moved him to a isolation tank 2 days ago and he is now lethargic and not interested in food. I have added extra salt to the tank (2 tbl per 10 gal) but I don't know if it is enough. Also treated the isolation tank with Melafix.
, on Flickr

FYI... Pics were taken just after vacuuming the tank with an Eheim and some fine debris had not yet cleared out.
What would be the best treatment for his infected lip and how can I get him to eat again?

He came from is a 70 gal community tank that has been historically high nitrates (over 80). Two months ago I tossed out all the filter media I had been using and changed to a combination of Matrix, Purigen and Chemipure and my tank has never been so crystal clear! 50% water changes every 4-5 days but nitrates are still 30-40.
His tank mates include 2 Asian Black upside down catfish, 1 Severum, 1 Blood Parrot, 1Red Tail Shark, 1 Leopard Pleco, 1 Mono Argentus, 3 Yellow Labs, 3 Snow White Socolofi. Quite a load.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be. It has grown slowly. Perhaps the Melafix will help. Can these fish be "force-fed"? I think I need to get something substantive into him before he starves or gets worse due to stress.

·
Registered
449 Posts
housailorr said:
Could be. It has grown slowly. Perhaps the Melafix will help. Can these fish be "force-fed"? I think I need to get something substantive into him before he starves or gets worse due to stress.
That fish looks pretty fat; I don't think it will starve to death any time soon. Your nitrates may be high due to over feeding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts