Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how long they hold? They laid eggs on thurs and now have them in their mouths. Can you strip them like an african? Should i wait till they release them and siphon them out? Any advise? thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Should take about 5-7 days mouthbrooding, possibly longer. I have stripped these once as I thought they were holding for too long/wanted the fry. The fry all still had their eggsacks so it was a little too early for them. Still, both the fry and female were fine after. Personally I would wait for them to release fry and syphon them out if you want to grow them on.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My personal experience i find from breeding them the last couple years is to determine if the female even wanted to spawn with the male in question. If they are a genuine couple i find it best to just leave the parenting up to them. If the spawn is due to the female just giving in to the persistent male then i'd look into stripping cause there's a good chance the female will sabotage the fry eventually, then drama goes down for weeks lol.

Does the female look beat up, how are her fins?

If there's other fish in the tank i'd remove them to better your chances @ success as they will try to target the fry for snacks. Dividing the tank up to separate the other fish if thats the case i dont recommend either for 2 reasons. 1 it's never worked for me, they might get stressed due to a smaller confined space & give up & one of the parents will kill them & the fry will eventually venture off from mom and dad & swim through the divide to the other side where they become food.

If you get to the stage where the parent(s) releases the fry i'd recommend feeding the parents some bloodworms to get their nutrition sorted as they havnt eaten in a week +. I had a male that starved himself to death once as he was so dedicated to holding onto the fry, partially why i'm sure most recommend stripping the parents. It took me a little bit to become successful @ it. Just take in what everyone says in other posts, or this post & compare that info to your monitoring of how your fish seem to be handling it all. Monitor them, and try to make the best judgements for yourself as it can completely different for everyone. You got to customize it all to the personality of your own fish. Thats my 2 cents, good luck :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will strip the fry next time cause I lost the fry after them holding 3 days. It was only their 2nd spawn, still young. They are a group of 13 in a 6'x 2'x2'. There is also 20+ angelfish. I have stripped Africans for years, but usually after 3 weeks. I have stripped earlier and have a tumbler that I use for eggs or egg sacks. I just wasnt sure when to strip. Is 3 days too early? I guess your right I will just have to try and see what works for me. Thanks so much for your advise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
6stang9 said:
I think I will strip the fry next time cause I lost the fry after them holding 3 days. It was only their 2nd spawn, still young. They are a group of 13 in a 6'x 2'x2'. There is also 20+ angelfish. I have stripped Africans for years, but usually after 3 weeks. I have stripped earlier and have a tumbler that I use for eggs or egg sacks. I just wasnt sure when to strip. Is 3 days too early? I guess your right I will just have to try and see what works for me. Thanks so much for your advise.
It took my Tapajos at least 3 tries probably 4 before I saw any fry. You can strip them but a tumbler will be useless with live fry with eggs sacs I would think. Its likely you will have a small amount of fry and they will be small + some will die. These fish breed every 3 weeks or so, I'd leave them to practice it for another month or two. After then if you still seen no fry... strip them.

I have tried moving a pair of Tapajos to their own tank for breeding but they refused to spawn on their own + in a smallish tank so I moved them back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I will leave them to it over the summer and watch to see how they do. I would rather just siphon the fry, cause catching them to strip is a pain. Plus I have 9 grow out tanks of Africans right now, and dont really want to set up more in the summer. Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.