Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering when male red fin borleyi (haplochromis borleyi) begin to show their red color on the sides.. i know females stay blue-grayish and males turn red.. i have one thats about 4 inchs and not showing any red and one thats about 2 inchs lil less... i got the second one jus to ensure id have a male and return the female.. not sure when they start to show color thou and none of the literature about them seems to say...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah 2.5inches is about the size mine started and were well on their way by 3-3.5inches.

Dominant tank members could delay this a bit but they are a pretyy resliiant species so i'd say your 4 inch is more than likely a girl

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
2 isn't a great bet at getting a male. I mean, yeah, there's a 75% chance that one's a male, but 4 would've made that a 15/16 chance and wouldn't have cost you much more ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We bought two and got lucky both were males. :wink:

By four inches you should have seen color for a male. They put size on quickly, both of ours were 8" within two years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well if is a female shes gettin traded... and yea id say shes a female shes pretty big.. and got really big really fast.. so is the small one... probly the fastest growing species in that tank..how likely are female borleyi to try to cross breed with the other tank members.. i have all male haps, peacocks, lethrinops...

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my red fin bunch (no longer fry I guess) my biggest, most dominant one is a little over 2" and started showing color sometime around Christmas. Out of the 13 red fins in there I'm sure he's not the only male... maybe he's just hyper dominant and that's making his colors show.... :-?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts