Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen red eyes on a midas/RD. Check this out!!



He has a lot more red now in the body vs what is seen in the picture. The picture a month old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,001 Posts
Ramirezi Altispinosis said:
country... thats totally a hybrid IMO. Some flowerhorn morph.
To be honest, I've thought the same thing since pics were first posted up of that fish. It doesn't look right. You can also make out some slight red around the "breast" like a lot of flowerhorns have...I dunno, maybe I'm wrong ;) I'd like to see pics of it as it continues to grow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I agree BV , Jim has a great looking fish whether it be breeding, feeding or partenting. I vote more his parenting and feeeding. Keep up the good work. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
countrykat said:
Never seen red eyes on a midas/RD. Check this out!!



He has a lot more red now in the body vs what is seen in the picture. The picture a month old.
that isnt a midas/RD, that is 100% flowerhorn, midas dont have fins like that, the face shape is slightly off, body shape is off, and it has pink behind the gill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did see the parents and they were definitely RD. So not sure where the FH would come from. The mouth and body looks completely different than a FH. I have 2 of each and they in no way look anything alike. I think it's just good food and clean water. Besides, I got the from TFG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
countrykat said:
Well I did see the parents and they were definitely RD. So not sure where the FH would come from. The mouth and body looks completely different than a FH. I have 2 of each and they in no way look anything alike. I think it's just good food and clean water. Besides, I got the from TFG.
Do remember, FH is a hybrid of "god knows what elses are in that fish". A fish looks like RD doesn't mean it is RD unless you truly know where the fish comes from...like the fish is F1 RD (Off spring of wild caught labiatus). Yes, food and water plays a good part of what the fish looks like. Genetic plays a huge part too. Many hybrid...especially FH has gone through many generation of geezzz...who knows what sired them. Then how can one be positive of what they have if the fish was from LFS or the sire was from LFS? My point is...don't be so certain if not knowing the lineage of the fish. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I here what your saying and understand completely. But, for myself and my kids who love to watch the fish tank, it's a RD. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Great looking fish you got there!

Sometimes we get caught up in trying to figure out exactly what our fish is (me included), when in all reality we should just enjoy them for what they are. Unless you plan on breeding it of course!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,001 Posts
countrykat said:
I here what your saying and understand completely. But, for myself and my kids who love to watch the fish tank, it's a RD. :thumb:
Oh, it wasn't meant to insult the fish or anything, but most people like to know what their fish actually are. Obviously you're welcome to call it anything you like, but if someone were to do a search on the forum for an "RD" and came up with your fish, then obviously they wouldn't be looking at an "RD". It may be a little confusing to someone who doesn't know, you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do know what you are saying and I do understand about others wanting to know what one really looks like. I think they would also like to know what one can look like with proper care and good genetics. This is the second RD I have had. The first one was 30+ years ago. It looked almost as good as this one. I think everyone gets too wrapped up in the hybrid issue and just excuses a good looking fish as immediately being a hybrid. Thats not always the case!! I also realize that this thread was hijacked "without purpose" and I do appologize for that ksfishguy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Jim, no problem and not your fault or anyone's for that matter, I like the discussion. BTW, please update us with picks of your RD, it is sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,001 Posts
countrykat said:
I do know what you are saying and I do understand about others wanting to know what one really looks like. I think they would also like to know what one can look like with proper care and good genetics. This is the second RD I have had. The first one was 30+ years ago. It looked almost as good as this one. I think everyone gets too wrapped up in the hybrid issue and just excuses a good looking fish as immediately being a hybrid. Thats not always the case!! I also realize that this thread was hijacked "without purpose" and I do appologize for that ksfishguy.
Well, the problem is...your fish is not just an RD with "proper care and good genetics". It's not a pure RD. It's likely a flowerhorn of some kind as already mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, truce :? I will give you that it may not be entirely 100% RD. As we all know that they are quite uncommon in the market unless obtained from the wild. I will go as far as saying that it is RD/Midas mix which is about 99% of the market nowadays, that leans to the RD side a little more than the Midas side. But a FH, no way! It is still young too, so lets give it a chance to grow up and see what happens. You do have to admit though that it is a looker. :D Sinister you can also see in my orginal post that I labeled it as a RD/Midas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,338 Posts
Well, I hope I can shed some light on the subject. Here's its parents, and he's one of those little specks swimming around the parents... Interesting to say the least...




countrykats fish came from that very spawn, and at the time of the spawn there wasn't anything else in the tank that could have hybridized with the female and then just let that big male take over the care....

Dad:


Mom:


Syblings from previous spawns at different color stages. The one all the way at the top of the picture hasn't colored up yet. The one at the bottom is on it's way and the one in the middle stayed like that:


And here's the one in the middle today at 7":


Any questions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I love your fish Jim. I think you have done an outstanding job with him. Perhaps some people don't understand all the good parenting you've done. I love his colors :eek: If TFG says he's RD then I think we all should agree he's RD. Keep up the good work Jim :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,701 Posts
This is my friend's labiatus. And he isn't wild caught (F0) but F1. You can easily obtained these fish from reputable breeders :) Jim, you living in Ohio...you can easily get a pure RD especially during convention time. Ohio has many cichlid hobbyists.

I've seen this fish in person. Stunning and huge :D
 
1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top