Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a few LFS around here. Two of which carry red empress. Here is my issue. One LFS sells them at about 4-5" but they are $59.99...the other sells them 2-3" for $5.95. Here is my question, I want to get a male because my understanding is females dont color up. If I spend a lot of money, I know im getting a male. The other LFS they are so small that not much color has developed if any. Is it safe to say that if some color has started to show, its a male? Cause I dont mind waiting for them to color up. I just want it to actually color up. I also dont want to buy a handful and take them back. So again, if there is some color starting to show, am I pretty safe to say its a male?

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
You may be able to identify a young male at that size sometimes by slight color hues or fin length. I got lucky with a taiwan reef simply by the orange stripe along the top of the dorsal fin. Otherwise looked like a female for like 2-3 months. Then one day i drop in some more taiwan reef smaller than him and bam he colored fully up within days.

I would probably just buy like 3-4 personally if they all looked the same, then sold the extras once they mature. If you can identify a male you can try but sometimes some females will trick you. But 59.99 at 4-5 inch is a rip off, considering they will still double in size.

·
Registered
874 Posts
wheelerr said:
Ok, I have a few LFS around here. Two of which carry red empress. Here is my issue. One LFS sells them at about 4-5" but they are $59.99...the other sells them 2-3" for $5.95. Here is my question, I want to get a male because my understanding is females dont color up. If I spend a lot of money, I know im getting a male. The other LFS they are so small that not much color has developed if any. Is it safe to say that if some color has started to show, its a male? Cause I dont mind waiting for them to color up. I just want it to actually color up. I also dont want to buy a handful and take them back. So again, if there is some color starting to show, am I pretty safe to say its a male?

Thanks!
Try and pick one out that has a longer and more pointed dorsal and anal fin. Sometimes females may also have a blue hue in the face.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went there today and they had zero color from what I could tell and the anal and dorsal fins were all the same on all the fish. If I were to guess...they were females because they were shorter. However they only had 4 and the fins seemed rounded. I think females.

Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Males will start to colour up at about 3 inches.
this will be dependent on tankmates though as they are quite a mild mannered hap.

I'd be looking to buy 1/2 dozen of the cheaper juvies to get one alpha male from the group.

The only thing to keep in mind is the purity of them with that sort of price discrepancy with the larger ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts