Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned my 3" RD tank, so I put the RD in the 4" flowerhorn tank. Flowerhorn had his spot in his tank (a cave in the tank). RD went straight to the FH's spot. They started doing the body waving. RD doesn't budge. Then they finally lip lock and then the RD takes a chunk out of the FH's nose. So, then that was when I had to take the RD out. Also, noticed some scale that was tearing off of the FH. It's one thing when the home fish is aggressive towards new fish, but for the new fish to take ownership right when he enters. WOW...

I would have to say the Red Devil is the meaniest aquarium fish I have ever had. I had a 11" male that I grew from 3 inches, so I always knew the RD was one mean SOB. I have yet to see a fish that can hold his own with a RD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, the FH's nose area is bleeding and missing a chunk of flesh. It's like the RD has pit bull lock jaws. Very sharp teeth for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The red devil is 3 inches and the FH is 4 inches.

·
Registered
947 Posts
In general, RD's are very aggressive. So are Red Terrors and Black Belts. But I've only ever owned one fish that would kill all tankmates...it was an H. Carpinte. I've owned at least a dozen H. Carpinte over the years, but none like that one. It did exactly what your RD did, to much larger and established fish...and to heaters, filter intakes, etc. He was completely psychotic and had to be kept isolated. With other "aggressive" cichlids, I was eventually able to find comnpatible tankmates, with a bit of trial and error. But not with that Carpinte.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts