Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this fish was in with some ugly blood parrots, even labeled as one,, so i thought i would do him a favor and get him away from the uglies! i bought him to grow out for a friend until he can get his tank up and running right. tell me if i am right in thinking this is a midas or not. thank youvery much, he is a mean little bugger at only 4 inches!

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell his markings but it sure looks like a Midas/RD to me. If he has some pearling or spangling then he could possibly have some Flowerhorn genes in him, but again it's hard to tell from the pic.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
If he was in a tank with a bunch of BP's, he may be the same hybrid as the BP's but just didn't end up with the same mutated look. Or he may be a midas/rd that got thrown in the same tank. Cute little guy either way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is solid orange, no white or spangling whatso ever. he was literally beating the **** out of the BPs, so i think i did them a favor as well. they had this guy in a 10 gallon tank with 2 BPs for like 2 months, he never grew in there, but now that he is my 125 gallon tank he has grown i would say 1 inch in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, some updated better photos, tell me what you think, blood parrot or midas/devil!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
RD/Midas.

DirtyBlackSocks, almost if not all RD and Midas seen are mixed between eachother, i dont think it is a pure RD, RD gene is just more dominant.

·
Registered
281 Posts
RD i think, looks like it could be a young male too.
here is a pic of mine a few weeks ago.

i think mine could be female. :thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have another that started out with a green color, but now is orange and has spots of black on his lips and some on his head. will these stay or will they eventually fade? i didnt think it was a RD/midas at first cause of the color, but apparently they change color.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
The only reliable way to sex a devil or midas is to vent it. Unless, of course, your solo devil/midas suddenly lays eggs, that's also a pretty good indicator ;)

The black spots will almost certainly fade, but you never know for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks more RD to me as well; it has a snout, stream lined body, and a good set of lips

The 3rd picture makes me wonder if it will start to look more Midas, those fins look awfully close to how my Midas's fins look. But on the other hand I don't know if fins are a reliable indicator. Also the third picture makes it look like it is starting to fill out. Could just be the angle.

What about the eyes, my midas doesn't have solid black eyes, outside the pupil is goldish-orange.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he is about 4 inches i would say, i will have to look at his eyes but i do beleive that they are black.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Call me crazy, but that last picture almost looks like it has a little parrot in the face/head. 90% RD/midas though for sure. Nice fish

1 - 20 of 26 Posts