Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big can I expect both species to get? And would a pair be ok in a 6ft 125 gallon tank. I have read they get everything from 12-20". Based on you guys experience could i keep a pair in this size tank with maybe some silver dollar target fish. My plan was to raise a group in a community setting and then remove the tank mates as they pair off(by community setting I mean other aggro cichlids like salvini, convicts, etc). Hopefully this would ensure a stronger pair bond. Or is the tank size too small? I don't want to keep an 18" fish in a 125.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Average size for a full grown male is usually around 12". They don't normally get much larger than that, maybe a couple inches. In theory, you should be able to keep a pair in a 6ft, 125gal tank for life as long as they get along well. I wouldn't try anything smaller than that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good to hear. I do like these fish so it would be cool to keep a pair. What do you mean by the silver dollars being bait? do you mean eatin or killed? I am ok with that they will serve soely as target fish so if things get too rough I will remove them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts