Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a single 8 inch red devil in a 80 gallon/315 liters tank. How often should i do a water change and of how much water? I am running the Fluval canister filter which cycles 1300 liters per hour.

Also, any suggestions on how to vacuum the gravel as my fish is constantly trying to bite my hand while using the vacuum/siphon. He does not go for the tube, but my hand!

·
Registered
308 Posts
With just that one fish I'd do 20 or 30 percent changes every week just to keep him as healthy as he can be beautiful fish by the way

·
Registered
134 Posts
You have a good filter set up and with just a single red devil you can probably do a 30-40% change every week or do a 20% once a week. As far as vacuuming your gravel all I can suggest is getting one of the real tall siphon vacuums and hope it helps. Red devils are notorious for attacking gravel vacuums. One other thing, I really like your tank set up, looks good. I think a few bigger rocks would really look good, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Simple solution for water changes - those yellow dishwashing gloves - you won't feel a thing!

Gorgeous tank btw :thumb:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi daz1,

As all tank set ups are different and people feed their fish different amounts the best way to determine how much water you need to change and how often is to test ammonia before and 24 hrs after water changes. Then you will be able to tell when ammonia is getting much to high, or if you are doing WCs to frequently.

You just need to decide what you feel is a good level of ammonia. In my opinion, anything over 40ppm indicates a need for a 50%+ WC; and I like to try and keep my ammonia below 20ppm.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Matt the word "amonia" needs to be replaced by "Nitrates.

I would do 50% water changes weekly.

Nice fish and tank setup.

....Bill

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi MonteSS,

Good catch, my apologies. I am currently cycling a new tank and have been testing ammonia regularly; must be stuck on the brain. I did mean to say Nitrates; thank you for the clarification.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice and compliments! Did not know what he was when I bought him, but knew I had to have him. The lfs said he some kind of african cichlid. Began my research and figured out he was a red devil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts