Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Red breasted acara with Keyholes

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sir_keith 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of setting up a 200 litre, 100cm long community tank.

I'm just wondering if you could keep both a pair of keyhole cichlids and a pair of red breasted acara in the same tank or would one pair be better for this size? If so, which pair would you choose.

The other fish would include Sterbai corydoras, honey gourami, cherry barbs and possibly dwarf rainbow fish.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Dom

#2 ·
Personally, I would go with just one pair of cichlids. The keyholes and acaras might coexist for a while in a tank this size, but once one (or both) of the pairs decided to spawn, they wouldn't have enough space to get out of each others way. So for long-term harmony, one pair would be the way to go.

In terms of deciding between the two species, they are both lovely fishes, but I think adult keyholes might feel a bit cramped in a tank this size, so I would go with the acaras. Good luck! :fish:

#3 ·
+1 to sir_keith, and his recommendation for the pair of Laetacara dorsigera,

I love these charming little Cichlids. :)
- In your smaller tank, a spawning pair of these won't cause The Apocalypse, by making extreme territorial claims.
- I see from your 'wish' list, you want a fairly sizable community of fish for this tank. Stocking with a smaller Cichlid species for your pair, will definitely help to achieve that.
- The only possibly 'iffy' non-Cichlid fish I see on the list, is that Honey Gourami. For some reason, many species of Cichlids can sometimes turn into some real goons when kept around peaceful Gouramis. Your Red Breasted Acaras will probably be fine with the little Gourami placed with them... but, keep a close eye on things and be ready to intervene if things get nippy.

#4 ·
Auballagh said:
...I love these charming little Cichlids. :)
- In your smaller tank, a spawning pair of these won't cause The Apocalypse, by making extreme territorial claims.
- I see from your 'wish' list, you want a fairly sizable community of fish for this tank. Stocking with a smaller Cichlid species for your pair, will definitely help to achieve that.
- The only possibly 'iffy' non-Cichlid fish I see on the list, is that Honey Gourami. For some reason, many species of Cichlids can sometimes turn into some real goons when kept around peaceful Gouramis. Your Red Breasted Acaras will probably be fine with the little Gourami placed with them... but, keep a close eye on things and be ready to intervene if things get nippy.
+1. Great advice. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.