Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Wasnt sure of the best place to post this but I have 125 gal tank of African cichlids established almost 1 year. I have lots of rocks and some fake wood caves. The fake wood caves have a red like growth on them (not all over just toward the top). Is this bad for the fish/tank? My nitrates are at 20 ppm as I have been over feeding, going to do a good water change now. What is the best way to get rid of this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, PH is 8, Am 0, Nitrites 0. Temp 80. Tank is not over crowded. Lastly this growth appears to be on some rocks...seems to have sprung up quickly.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It won't hurt anything, but it will spread if you don't solve the problem. Feed less, restrict light and keep the nitrates at or under 20ppm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much light should they get. We have T5 lights... 2 hours of brightest in the morning, 9 hours of mid light, then 5 hours of bright light then moon lights for bed. I was going to change up the schedule and set them on a timer... what would be best?
Thanks for getting back so quickly!

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's 16 hours of light...way to much. Even in a heavily planted tank, 8 hours of lights is all you should run. I set my timers to go on 2pm to 10pm, most of my T5HO tanks have mid day bursts of 3 hours, all of these tanks have some plants, most moderately planted. I'm not sure what algae you have, I've seen red cyno in saltwater tanks, but cyno grows green in freshwater. Can you post a pic?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If you don't have plants, the tank only needs light for viewing. Maybe a couple hours after work like 6pm to 10pm or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have any real plants (to messy). I will light less. I do add aquarium salt, epsom salt and baking soda when I do water changes. I will try to get photos later or tomorrow but I did scrub the algae during the water change/cleaning. My Nitrates haven't been this high in sometime. I am guilty of over feeding!!!! Thanks for the help as always!!! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If you are adding epsom salts and baking soda you should not also need aquarium salts. See, this is really easy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome.... there is nothing easy about this!!!! But I love my babies!!! If it werent for this forum I might have lost more then I did!!! Not to discourage anyone...it does get easier......but there will always be questions!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have the same issue, nitrates dont even register, got me a bristlenose who is slowly taking care of the issue.

i did recently change to a digital timer for my light to only come on from 7:30am to 9am then 2:50 to 8pm mon - thursday then till 10pm friday (tank maintance night) as well as on all day weekends

way i see it we arnt home to view the tank so why light it? the fish dont mind and as proof i came home to a yellow lap holding tonight

i wouldnt worry to much just pop in some tank cleaners

1 - 10 of 10 Posts