Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started up my old 125 gallon cichlid tank. I have about 30 mixed africans and I am currently having a problem with red algae on the glass. I dont run the lights but a couple hours a day but doesnt seem to help. For the last 3 days I have had the lights of the whole time treating the tank with pimafix and melafix and it has made it worse. I am sure that I dont have enough filtration at this time but working on that problem. Could this be the cause of the algae?? Any ideas on getting rid of it? I am currently cleaning the inside of the glass with a paper towl or sponge to remove it. Thanks for any advice!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
my acei kept it in check. that and regular cleanings. id suggest u either buy a new scrubber brush to use for tanks or just get one at petco. sure it sucks getting in there but do it before a regular water change and it should help get rid of most of it. no easy way save cleaning / fish that eat the stuff. GL to ya!

·
Super Moderator
40,503 Posts
Algae cannot exist unless nutrients and light are excessive. Reduce one or both and control your algae. Light? Stay away from sunlight and keep your tank lights on the minimum amount of time. Nutrients? Lots of water changes and keep nitrates under 20ppm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts