Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a question about red algae I was looking at my intake for my sump yesterday, when I saw these litlle spores of what looked like red algae. So I cleaned the pipe and ran boiling hot water through it, but there is still a small bit left. Can I still use the pipe. Can what was in the pipe harm my fish? Any comment would be great.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You'll get all kinds of weird algae if you keep tanks long enough. The only threat I've ever heard about was the potential release of toxins in you scrape a bunch off (not necessarily red) and then leave it in the tank to die. The die-off of some types of algae can release toxins. See Diana Walstad's 'Ecology of the Planted Aquarium'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think that the red in the algae is from a bacteria that is in water that has alot of iron the bacteria feed off of the iron in the water some time its more pink than red and doesn't hurt humans i know this because i have a heavy iron content in my water and it turns thins redish pink. like shower curtains and things.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Could be a reason. For me, it was lighting. I changed my lighting and over the few weeks the algae went from red to green.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brown and Red algae are not unhealthy things for your fish. But usually brown and red algae occurs when you have the fish tank light on for longer than 8 hours a day, you should notice a significant drop in algae when you minimize the time that your tank light is on. Its also a good idea to avoid direct sunlight as that work as a catalyst to starting an algae bloom. Heres a good article I read about how to regulate brown algae.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-get-rid- ... r-aquarium

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.