Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am occassionally (once every 6 months or so) having issues with one of my fish getting what appears to be bloat (spitting food...lethargic). Only once have they gotten bad enough that I actually noticed the abdomen swelling. I usually catch it pretty early and have learned to err on the side of caution and quarantine the fish and begin treatment with clout per the directions on this site. It sometimes takes about two weeks before they will begin to slowly start eating again but if you catch it soon enough it seems to work pretty well. I have a mixed hap/peacock tank and it seems in all cases but one (taiwan reef) the affected fish have been peacocks. The tank is 125 gal and has about 30 fish in it (most are small adults) with about 7 of those being catfish. I run two rena XP3's and do weekly water changes at a minimum. I clean one of the filters about every other week. I feed dainichi color fx, NLS, hikari gold, spirulina flakes (not too often) and once or twice a week I feed frozen brine shrimp and krill. The fish are typically fed 2-3 small meals a day. All the food is gone in 15-20 seconds and none of the fish are the least bit fat. I am wondering why I am having the bloat-like issues periodically? All the water parameters seem to check out fine and aggression is not really a problem? I have been keeping cichlids for close to 20 years and the only fish I have had issues like this with has been peacocks. None of the other fish are affected by the sick fish...it is always just one and they are removed for quarantine...I have been lucky recognizing the sick fish in time but it is just frustrating having to remove one to quarantine and try to introduce it back to a tank of males.

·
Registered
705 Posts
well sounds like the diet is decent enough. id add more ruffage in the form of spirulina. i just mix it into my base flake food. also the taiwan reef has a diet more reliant upon vegetable material. in the wild they eat mostly algae from rock surfaces. hope the bloat issue goes away. dont feed them as much either. a hungry cichlid is a normal cichlid.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
It sounds like you run a pretty healthy tank but I'll just throw a few thoughts out

You have quite a few different foods that you feed them. Despite the fact that your fish are not 'fat' they may still be eating too much. Really: one small feeding a day is healthier for them. Also, having that many containers of food open at once: fish food can go bad. They don't need that much of a variety.
Water parameters: I know you said they checked out fine but double check them just the same. Make sure your test kits are not out of date and generally speaking the test tube type are more reliable then the test strip type. What are your readings for nitrate? Over time high nitrate levels can be a drain on your fish's immune system. I know you said you're doing weekly water changes and that's good but how much water do you remove each time? How deep is your substrate and do you siphon it often?

Re-occurring bloat is a possible indication that there's some ongoing stress in the tank. Could be diet, water quality, fluctuating water parameters, aggressive tankmates, wrong or no dechlorinator, just about anything--so double check everything.

Let us know what you come up with.

Robin

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seems to be a lot higher than what is recommended for african cichlids. It is labeled as (min 40%) and from what I have read, you want to find something closer to 34-35% which is what the NLS I have been feeding all along has been. The dainichi is mixed with the NLS as I had just a little bit left in the bag so it is really diluted compared to the NLS. I still feed frozen brine shrimp once or twice a week and feed krill to the larger trout cichlid and rostratus by hand so it is not like the peacocks are gorging on krill. I still have had two other fish get bloat like symptoms (C. trewavase mloto and O. Lithobates) in the past few weeks. The mloto went through treatment fine and has rejoined the tank and is eating well. The lithobates is currently in treatment (been through the treatment schedule once and am starting it again) and is still a 50/50....I did notice he started to swell noticeably today so who knows if he will pull through. I have another smaller tank that houses some females peacocks and a few buccochromis I am growing up a bit more before putting them in the larger tank. One of the buccos was spitting food today and had the characteristic white stringy feces so into the bucket with the lithobates it went. I am doing water changes about every third day on the main tank which equates to about 25% weekly and using prime as a dechlorinator. Aggression is really not a huge issue...the fish chase each other at times but there are none that are singled out relentlessly and everyone is in pretty good shape with no ripped/torn fins. I am perplexed at what is causing this recurring issue? I am not wanting to but should I treat the main tank? From my experience, bloat has not ever been contagious to the other fish, at least in the short term of a few weeks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi There,,, I do have a question for you? Do you have a lot of rock in the aquarium? If so are these rocks that you picked up yourself on shorelines or anything like that? The reason i'm asking is becuase over the last year i had weird things happening where i would lose almost a whole colony of a specific breed of fish... not all the species in the tank but only certain ones. They may have been the more sensitive species. Anyways..... in all 3 cases with 3 separate tanks,, it was because of rocks, believe it or not..... The rocks were actually causing rust in the water.. those were ones that i picked up and not aware of their composition....

My fish died looking perfectly healthy, no damage externally, just stopped eating and not social. All my tanks were cycled for months with great filtration, food and water changes....

I tried medications as well... to late.. most fish only lasted about 4 days max once i noticed the problem......

I'm not a 100% sure this was the cause but when the rocks were removed,,, no more fish lost... testing kits showed nothing for me......

hope things are working out for you....
sheldon

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they were landscaping stone that I got from lowes...they have been in the tank about two months...I had lace/volcanic rock in the tank before that, which was in there for years. All the rock was thoroughly scrubbed and washed in scalding water before being placed in the tank. The bloat seems to be more common now as I have had three others stop eating every other week or so (not all at once). I fed some spirulina flakes recently and that was the only change to the diet. I have a good size champsochromis that I hand feed krill about twice a week. He has been doing great but now is in treatment....fed him the night before and everything was fine....next day he had not interest in food which is strange as he is an aggressive eater. I put him in a 5g bucket with a filter and began treatment...this is day 3 and I do not think he will make it. This morning another fish did not seem to feed. I guess I am going to have to treat the entire tank and pull the catfish out. If this does not stop soon, I am throwing in the towel and taking the tank down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts